Go Down

Topic: Arduino library for WTV020-SD-16P audio module (Read 143593 times) previous topic - next topic

ardianet

Mar 29, 2015, 07:25 pm Last Edit: Mar 29, 2015, 07:27 pm by ardianet
Hi,
First of all, thanks for The-Rebel-Agent for writing up the library. I think most people using WTV020 with Arduino are using the library, including me. :)

Secondly, I want to share my experience with the module :
At first try my WTV020 (marked : WTV020M01, V1.00, 2012.01.12) didn't play or outputing any sound. Read from previous post that several WTV020 module playing only .wav file. So I took the .wav file from the 1st Medal-Of-Honor game.. still no sound played. So I re-check the wiring, and whallaa.. my jumper cable that connect to ground pin is a bit loss. After changing the cable, the module start playing choppy sound..  I try to convert it to .ad4... and now the module is playing the sound.

I'm using "generic" V-Gen 2GB Card. Here's the step :
- Rechecking the wires.
- Formatting my SDCARD with : SDFormatter (turn into FAT (only) Format)
- Coverting the .mp3 files to ad4 with : 4D-SOMO-TOOL , renamed the file with 000x.ad4
- Upload the exact code at the first page of this thread, hear the sounds.

Third, the problems :
1. I need to add delay(10) between played files to have complete sound. Is there a way to play the files  in sequent without using delay() command ? (using millis perhaps ??)

2. There are "Click" sound on every start & end of sound played. Any info how to remove that click sound ? is it because of the .mp3 to .ad4 convert process ? some say adding coupling transistor could vanishing the click sound, is it true ?

Regards

mweber

All those who are having difficulties, check out this wiki:
http://matthew-morris.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wtv020-SD-16P#Picaxe_Serial_Mode_Notes

I found it extremely useful.  In particular the timing modifications for the library also worked for me:
Give it 750msec after reset (not 300msec as in the spec sheet).  Library line 37.
Also, the BUSY line doesn't respond immediately, leading to playVoice starting, then stopping and restarting, after a reset.  The change to 50msec in line 94 fixes that.

I also found that calling   
wtv020sd16p.stopVoice()
after each playback (synchronous or asynchronous) is necessary for the next playback to reliably start.

My module says V1.00.  I am running it with a SanDisk 1 GB card.
I did not have to connect the SD card pin 6 to Ground.
At first, it didn't seem to be working in the stand-alone playback mode.  Briefly shorting the NEXT or PREV key seemingly unstuck it.  Maybe it has to do with the module remembering the file (voice) it previously played or something weird being in there as factory default.

Good luck,

Hi all
I bought WTV020-SD-16P U-Disk Audio Player SD Card MP3 Voice Module
from one china web

i have kingstone 2GB Micro sd card

and its not working

the module is
WTV020M01 V1.00

i was trying 5V and 3.3V same result

i conected the module to arduino mega like

i connected earphones to it and i can hear some noise by pushing the next / previous button
and some noise like is searching on the card
I think the problem is the sd card but maybe i am wrong
i dont have another sd card to compare
i just want to know if other people which have problem with the card have same experience

the SD card is formated to FAT(FAT16) and also tried to change the size to 1GB

sorry for my English

ardianet

Hi all
I bought WTV020-SD-16P U-Disk Audio Player SD Card MP3 Voice Module
from one china web

i have kingstone 2GB Micro sd card

and its not working

the module is
WTV020M01 V1.00

i was trying 5V and 3.3V same result

i conected the module to arduino mega like

i connected earphones to it and i can hear some noise by pushing the next / previous button
and some noise like is searching on the card
I think the problem is the sd card but maybe i am wrong
i dont have another sd card to compare
i just want to know if other people which have problem with the card have same experience

the SD card is formated to FAT(FAT16) and also tried to change the size to 1GB

sorry for my English
Hi,
I'm using MEGA 2560 too. But now I'm using it with (DIY) WTV020 shield on UNO.
My WTV020 is connected without Prev / Next Button & LED.
Just connect the (WTV020) : Pin 1 (Reset), Pin 4 & 5 (Speaker out), Pin 7 (Clock), Pin 8 (Ground), Pin 10 (Data), Pin 15 (Busy), Pin 16 (Vcc, 3.3V) to Arduino.

If there's no sound played, first re-check the wires, always re-check the wires.  ;)
For hearing the sound played I'm using 3-feet-female-connector (which 2 feet connected to pin 4 & 5, & 1 feet to GND).

Secondly check the file type (.wav / .ad4) & name (use 4-digit-3-type, ex. : 0001.ad4, 0002.ad4, 0510.ad4).

You could read my post at #270 for other supporting tools.

Regards

jthefreak

Hi kiwisincebirth,

Sorry for the late reply. I did indeed find the missing ground as you suggested. I soldered the wire and at least I can hear music this time but not the complete song. It stops after approx. 20 seconds of starting playing the song. It partially works this way  for the following memory cards: one 2G Sandisk and one 2G Kingston cards. It does not work for another 2G sandisk card. They are all being formatted the same way and they all also use the same files. I have no idea what the problem is. I guess I would have to look for a similar module that plays some audio for Arduino.

thank you.

Try reducing the level of your music before converting it to .ad4. I had the same problem, and believe I was overloading the very small amp in the wtv - I noticed the volume was higher in my music, compared to the example songs. I reduced the level in Audacity, and reconverted and it played fine.

Dr_Ugi

Apr 24, 2015, 04:17 pm Last Edit: Apr 24, 2015, 04:27 pm by Dr_Ugi
Hello all

Firstly:  A big "thank you" to the-rebel-agent and all who have contributed to this thread.  I have used and referred to many of the posts to make progress with these little devices so thanks to you all.

I have been putting together a small kids' project with these so I have had to find a system that works reliably rather than just as a one-off.  What I have found is as follows:

• Windows formatter does not work - I needed to use SD formatter
  • Formatting with SD formatter 16-bit FAT full overwrite is slow but works every time
  • I have tried a dozen or so small SD cards (1-2 GB), all branded SanDisk.  They do not all behave the same.
  • All work but some require pin-6 shorted to Gnd.  Some don't need this
  • I can accurately predict which cards need the pin-6 short by looking at them
  • If an SD card is flat on the back then it will need the pin-6 short to gnd
  • If it has a small raised rectangle visible on the back (where the black rectangle is here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Micro_SD_card_%28Nokia%29_back.jpg) then it will not need the pin-6 short.

I have been using a v1.0 board at 3v3 for this testing.  Although I have largely tested SanDisk cards, I strongly suspect that the differing behavior suggests some to be fake so it is likely that other cards will behave the same way.  I will test some more shortly and report if I find any difference.

Cheers

Ugi

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy