Go Down

Topic: Backup-battery Circuit (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

district9

I'm gonna make something that uses a DS1337, and runs on 5v worth of batteries.  Needs a backup battery to prevent time-reset when main ones run out.  Seems simple enough.  Anything not obvious about this that I should be aware of?
If I can picture it, I can understand it. -- a. einstein

kg4wsv

I'd probably use a couple of diodes and a 3V lithium (or maybe a supercap) to keep it ticking when main power is out.

-j

district9

thx for the supercap idea.  

I read that with supercaps you don't have to have a full-charge detection circuit, like w/ batteries.  I might use a supercap, but if I use batteries, I'd like to find the utterly simplest, yet efficient, way to know when they've gone too low.  The simplest one I can find is here:  
http://www.4qdtec.com/batty.html   Does this seem like a good one?

kg4wsv

Are we talking about a low battery indicator for the RTC backup battery? I haven't read any datasheets or done any math, but my knee-jerk reaction is that the indicator circuit will use lots more power than the RTC.

-j

district9

my bad.... i was assuming that what i read about the backup-battery-related low-charge detection ckt was referring to one that watched the main batteries and enabled the bu batteries when necessary.  But, maybe it was for the bu batteries.  

I only care about watching the main batteries and determining the minimum circuitry it takes to do that.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy