Go Down

Topic: TLC5940NT (Read 2028 times) previous topic - next topic

rememberthis

I have recently done a fair amount of reading on the TLC5940NT chip but still have a few questions I am hoping someone here can clarify.  Lets say I have purchased 12 individual RGB leds and I wish to control them with the TLC5940NT.  I understand i can use this to turn off/on the individual leds as well as use PWM but will the TLC5940NT allow me to change the color of the the individual LEDS?  Essentially I wish to build a LED matrix similar to the sparkfun 8x8 matrix with SPI backpack in terms of function but without the unit being so compact ( the matrix will not be arranged in a linear fashion).  If this is a total noob question I apologize as I am very new to this still.
Many thanks.

Nachtwind

yes and no ;0)

You will be able to control the color of each LED, but you will have to provide 3 TLCs to do so, as RGB LEDs are normally using 3 pins for the colors and one as common anode/cathode. So, to control 12 RGB Leds you will have to have 36 Pins which makes 3 TLC5940s, which is thanks to the daisy-chain feature and the brilliant library here no problem.
Believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid[ch8230] and I went ahead

rememberthis

I see, thank you, for the clarification.

Grumpy_Mike

If you want to control up to 16 RGB LEDs using only 1 TLC5940 chip you can do it through multiplexing. Here is what I did:- http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Mini_Monome.html

SirPoonga

You may also want to look at the tlc5947.

rememberthis

Thanks again for the helpful information.  Just what I was looking for.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy