Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What Solenoid For Robot Drum?  (Read 624 times)
Manchester, UK
Rodrigo Constanzo is a performer and composer living in Manchester, England. He is an avid improviser and performs regularly using home made electro acoustic, and modified electronic instruments. He is currently working towards a PhD in Composition at th
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So I'm working on an Arduino build that will take incoming drum hits (read via piezos mounted on a drum) and play back (via solenoids) patterns on the drum.

I'm thinking push solenoids, with a little head on them, similar to this:
http://www.logosfoundation.org/instrum_gwr/snar.html

With push based ones I can simply have it 'poke' the head, and that's that. Rather than having a pull one mounted with a stick/lever.

I ordered a 12VDC Black Knight solenoid to test with. This one:
http://uk.farnell.com/ped/120-420-620-620/solenoid-tubular-push-12v/dp/4207427

For one, it's tiny/wimpy. But beyond that, the plunger(?) falls right out. In the SNAR build linked above it looks like thats resolved by using gravity and a baseplate of some kind, but for my build, the Solenoid will be horizontal. I've seen some with springs in them, but after buying the wrong solenoid one time, I figured I'd ask around, before buying a wrong solenoid for a second time.

What solenoids are generally good for this kind of thing?

Manchester, UK
Rodrigo Constanzo is a performer and composer living in Manchester, England. He is an avid improviser and performs regularly using home made electro acoustic, and modified electronic instruments. He is currently working towards a PhD in Composition at th
View Profile

That's a good idea!
I just through a push Solenoid for simplest setup (it 'poking' the head), but speed would be concern.

Are these kind of things available new, or do I have to try to scrounge up some surplus bells/buzzers?

Manchester, UK
View Profile

In looking closer at this type of solenoid, I'm wondering if it's going to be able to generate enough force to make an audible drum hit. I would imagine it needs a certain amount of distance to generate enough power to strike a drum head. A hard bell, and a hard beater don't need as much momentum to be loud.

The diagram, and the ones you link look like they only move under a centimeter.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: