Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Using Arduino UNO as Serial Host  (Read 1443 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey All,

So I'm using the Arduino to automate some tasks (setting up an electronic system, as a computer is generally necessary for set up). There are two boards in the embedded system, one that runs over RS232 (created a software serial port to talk to it, it works), and one that runs over USB.

When I connect the system to the USB port on my computer, it works spectacularly (it turns on!). When I connect it to the Arduino, it doesn't do anything. And by connect - I made a USB micro to USB B cable, with a USB A extension coming out, and +5 power available there as well. It allows the cable to be connected to the Arduino and the board, with +5v applied to the rails. When in 'computer' mode, the cable only connects to the video board and the computer (no Arduino or +5v). When the system gets connected to the computer, no data is sent, no programs are turned on, it must recognize that it's connected - and allows it to be turned on (there's a reset switch on the board that I can hit and a green light turns on).

What I want to happen is for me to the connect the Arduino to the video board via USB, have power applied to the +5v and gnd rails, have the video board 'see' the Arduino as a computer (however that happens, I'm not sure - I have an UNO so I can change what it comes up as).

This is something related to work and I don't have access to all of the information about the video board, but I do know it has a pic 18f2550 on it, which has a built in USB transceiver, but unfortunately I can't access the current code on the PIC or change it.

Also - something that I noticed that might be related - when the Arduino is connected to the computer I have it set up to send out some serial commands over the USB port every so often, and when it's connected to the computer it does. The tx/rx lights flash for a bit and shut off. When I connect the Arduino to the video board, it never does anything (tx/rx wise).

So I guess I have two problems:
1) How can I make the Arduino 'blindly' send data over USB?
2) How can I disguise the Arduino to look like a USB port on a computer?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:00:41 pm by Interesting » Logged

Greenwood, Indiana
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

http://www.circuitsathome.com/arduino_usb_host_shield_projects

This will allow the Arduino to act as a host. You will most likely have to write a driver of some sort for it.

If it was designed by man it can be repaired by man.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: