Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Connecting Arduino to iPhone/iPod serial  (Read 17930 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Has anyone here done it? Is it possible? I'm thinking of buying an iPod Touch, not so much as an overpriced music player, but more as  a portable computer, for which I will be writing my own software. Now, I've heard that the serial port on the iPod/iPhone is a standard TX/RX serial connection, and so I should be able to connect to an arduino from the iPod with a simple C program (after any necessary hacking), but I wanted to know if someone else has already done it and what kind of trouble was involved.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

It's possible to connect the ipod to arduino via tx/tr without any ipod remote, only with the serial cable between the ipod and arduino, i don't know if this helps you...

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I was contemplating the same thing, for use in an alarm clock.  has anyone made any progress on this?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

it's simple, u can simply connect Tx to your ipod RX pin, see the ipod connector datasheet but i think it's pin 13 in your ipod and then just simple send the commands like this

Play/Pause        0xFF 0x55 0x03 0x02 0x00 0x01 0xFA

(;

Bagshot, UK
View Profile

Hi guys,

I'm looking into having a go at connecting my iPod and my Arduino but I've read out there that the iPod "high" is only 3.3v.

Is that correct? Will I start destroying things if I run 5v into it from the tx/rx?

Thanks in advance, Easty.

Newcastle NSW Australia
RalimTek
View Profile

Hi,
Both me and my friend have iPod touch's he managed to break his data pin using 6V so i would look at reducing the power somehow. better idea is to get bluetooth Arduino and using an iPhone to control it.
He had his iPod touch repaired for $50 Au
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 05:09:02 am by Cybot_Rules » Logged

Cybot

Bagshot, UK
View Profile

Thanks for the advice and warning Cybot.

Grenoble/Lyon - France
View Profile

Does the IPhone SDK allows access to the serial port ? If yes, that's the best news of the month ^^

Newcastle NSW Australia
RalimTek
View Profile

I know that if you jailbreak you can use Java or Python to interface with the slot, my friend managed to figure this out after wringing a simple python program to capture the data being transfered when he used a remote control with it. smiley-wink
But as far as the SDK i doubt it as apple didn't even allow you to change the brightness of the screen.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 03:32:21 am by Cybot_Rules » Logged

Cybot

Austin, TX
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I was doing some research on this when I first got my Arduino, and here's a link to the best info I found on the topic:  (bah, see next post)

It looks like she's essentially taking a third-party remote, cutting it open, and then just using the wires leading to the iPod and connecting them to her Arduino.  I think she's lifting the traces off of the circuit board, I assume she could have in fact just cut off the remote board and used the wires leading to it.

She mentions that it works fine with her atmega8 version, but has problems with the newer atmega168 versions, so just a heads up.  I really want to try to get a project like this up and running on a 168 Arduino, but the lack of an iPod is proving to be a bit of a setback smiley-grin

Bagshot, UK
View Profile

Got a 3G working with an old connector but my 5G iPod isn't playing ball,

Thanks for posting the link to Rosie's code pjamestx, I've used it for my tests!

Newcastle NSW Australia
RalimTek
View Profile

Does anyone know what codes the device actually sends to the ipod from the ipod radio receiver ? im looking at using my ipod with my large antenna and using the Arduino as an amp

Cybot

Pittsburgh
I built a Segway...
View Profile

I did this with my ipod touch jailbreaked 2.0.2. Hardware wise I used a cable from :http://www.rush2112.net/mkportal/modules/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=34&osCsid=623417921d61d5ff5d81100e93fc1cf6, although they used to just sell the ipod to 8-din cable. Tx from ipod goes straight into Arduino, While Rx goes through 1k resistor(3.3v). Software wise I have accomplished three different things:

1. Using Minicom from the Cydia installer to talk like a terminal.

2. Use a GPSShield from Ladyada to get NMEA GPS data into xGPS, also found in Cydia.

3. Used Iphone/Python and this:http://www.elifulkerson.com/projects/telnet-serial-bridge.php as a Wifi Serial port, through which I could control a simple servo robot with this: http://www.jbprojects.net/projects/wifirobot/

If you would like me to elaborate on any of these, just ask. It was a little while ago, but I can still try and help.

Shenzhen, China
Seeeduino rocks too
View Profile

We happend to prepared some iPod breakout, if they would be helpful: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/ipodext-assembled-version-breakout-for-ipod-p-148.html
 smiley

Austin, TX
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Easty: Glad the link helped.  What version of the Arduino are you using?  I figured I'd get back in touch with her if someone got it working on a 168.

seeedstudio: Cool, I'd come across those in your store before but had forgotten all about them.  Looks like they'd be about the same price as chopping up a third-party remote, and way easier to use.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: