Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Launching new Arduino variant board, questions  (Read 1292 times)
Yeah Arduino surely rocks !
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello there !

I have developed an Arduino variant board, based on Arduino Severino. I started with this project because I wasn't able to find the right option for me so I've decided to go ahead with my own version.
This board is being useful for me and I think it can be for others as well, for people eventually looking for same characteristics that I was looking for in the past.

Considering what was said I want to publish the board schematics on internet but got some questions. I have read about the rules and I'm aware about Creative Commons rules as well but still:

1-> I read at arduino.cc that if you publish a new board variant the best is if you don't use Arduino name on the board and avoid suffixes like -ino -duino etc. My question is: Is this a strict rule? I see some boards projects around with the -ino suffix. It's ok if I decide to use? The point of using such suffixes is clear: Get more popularity for the board and maybe making easier for people find what they are looking for on internet.

2->  My project is not aimed for industrial production (and not even ready for it), but I like the idea to produce my own boards and sell on e-bay e.g. I dont have conditions to be competitive against industrialized products, selling boards is something I plan just because making em is big fun for me (handmade production with all steps: board itself, holes, proper painting and labeling). So question is: Can I sell my own boards this way?

3-> Im not sure if I interpreted well the stuff but I am free to do what I want unless I use Arduino name or Arduino suffixes on board name? If I user -ino suffixes so I need some authorization and pay some fee if I decide to sell my handmade boards?

4-> Any other important aspect must be considered?

Well, sorry for lot of questions and maybe not the most proper grammar here.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Rodrigo
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:53:21 am by DanDare » Logged

DeKalb, IL USA
KB9SXU
View Profile

ad at arduino.cc that if you publish a new board variant the best is if you don't use Arduino name on the board and avoid suffixes like -ino -duino etc. My question is: Is this a strict rule?
You can't use the Arduino name without permission... adding ino or duino is said to be avoided because it is getting old and not very original.  But there is no restrictions on doing so.

Can I sell my own boards this way?
Yes... many people do this... actually almost all variants are like this or start out this way.

If I user -ino suffixes so I need some authorization and pay some fee if I decide to sell my handmade boards?
You can not call it an Arduino.  The Arduino team recommends...

Product Name (Arduino Compatible)

NOT

Arduino Product Name OR Arduino compatible Product Name

I think there could be exceptions to this when referring to the product in context.

Any other important aspect must be considered?
Make sure you test all boards before selling.  Load several different programs and test all pins.  Inform people that your board is not an official Arduino so they don't assume they are buying an Arduino.  Explain the differences between your board and an Arduino and what compatibility issues your board might have with the software or shields (if it accepts shields).

Make sure any parts you use for your board are readily available and that there are alternatives.  There are shortages on lots of parts right now and if Mouser has 10,000 in stock today, they may not be there in a week.

Jeff K - JKDevices.com - home of the MegaMini

View Profile

Hello Jeff K,

Very thanks for the considerations.
I have been using this board for more than 1 year now, it just works. To test individual boards I can create a "testing shield", what sounds interesting after all.

Selling boards is not the main purpose, but something that's possible to be done, for the fun of producing boards.
My project is aimed for people looking to produce the boards themselves, it's single side and can be done at home ( I use serigraphy for the circuit printing, not sure if circuit design will work well on toner transfer method, never tried).

Trying to get best results with a final work that looks like a professional product (including the solder mask, labeling etc), is just a hobby and kind of a therapy for the spare time. I am not an electrical engineer (I am forest engineer), and will like to send some free evaluation boards for interested people with competence  to really check the board and analyze it's reliability. I can send you one after I publish and make the first ones final looking, if you like the idea.

It's not such a big project intention, just a personal project that people may find interesting, eventually.

Regards,
Rodrigo
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:48:08 am by DanDare » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

It's not such a big project intention, just a personal project that people may find interesting, eventually.

You might consider posting the schematic of your design for comments and suggestions before commiting to a pcb. Many have done that and much of the feedback can be very useful and educational.

I vote you name it DanDareuino  smiley-wink

Lefty

View Profile

Sounds about right retrolefty,

So there we go:

1-> I named board "PocketDuino". I know it's getting old this all about -inos... so this is just another -ino's being.
2-> I tried to get the smallest as possible and a fast to solder board, to be used in practice in the field (despite the slow of soldering jumpers). Board size is actually 6.1 x 3.8 cm (2.4 x 1.5 in).
3-> I tried to get a reliable design concerning power regulation and Aref filtering, to be used for sensors with more accuracy and in serious projects (Im not sure if I got success with the board in this regard, someone must tell me)

This is the board running: http://www.minasambiente.com.br/media/images/common/electronic/pdfinish.jpg

This is how im making the PCB: http://www.minasambiente.com.br/media/images/common/electronic/pdboard.jpg

This is a shield i developed for the PocketDuino: http://www.minasambiente.com.br/media/images/common/electronic/shieldp.jpg (that's DS1307 RTC + EEPROM + ShiftRegister to control a parallel LCD -> Still under testings)

This is the schematics (component side): http://www.minasambiente.com.br/media/images/common/electronic/PD10.jpg Blue lines are the not elegant jumpers.

I'm sorry about this schematic. I'm not proficient in Eagle, I did all the routings and drawings on AutoCAD and got not yet the representative schematics yet, I hope you can understand this schematic drawing.

The parts, from the schematic picture:

C1, C2 -> Electrolyct capacitor, 100uF, 16v
C3, C6 -> Ceramic disc capacitor, 100nF
C4, C5 -> Ceramic disc capacitor, 22pF
R1, R2, R3 -> Resistor, 1Kohm
I1 -> Atmega8, 168 (328??)
I2 -> Power regulator LM7805
LD1, LD2 -> Led 3mm
Q1 -> Crystal, 16Mhz
L1 -> Inductor, 100uH

That's. I will enjoy any constructive critics about the project or any other consideration.
I can host the AutoCAD layout for people interested in build own boards... so (ugh) let's consider this post the oficial release of PocketDuino project  ;D

Sorry if I commit some bad grammar (english not my native)

Salute
Rodrigo
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:59:39 pm by DanDare » Logged

View Profile

Well, sticking now for the educational part of this post  smiley I have a question about my own circuit:

On the PCB, this layout: http://www.minasambiente.com.br/media/images/common/electronic/dc1.jpg

Does the same as: http://www.minasambiente.com.br/media/images/common/electronic/dc2.jpg ?

I2 is the LM7805 and C1 & C2 are the decoupling capacitors.
While drawing the circuit I was in doubt and choose the first figure even tought I guess they are same effect... but Im just guessing...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:56:01 pm by DanDare » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

but Im just guessing

Me too. It's hard to determine from a PCB layout drawing. When I talk about schematic drawings I mean like this:

http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoSeverinoSchematic.png

Or like this:

http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino-duemilanove-schematic.pdf

Lefty

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hehe.. All I was looking for, pcb-embed-atmel with easy to find (Brasil, love you, hate you) parts.

Is there some way to upload code besides usb on the proj? You can use some usb->serial cable right?

My suggestion: Up scheme/pcb/code to some scm. github, gitorious..

Thanks man, nice proj!

View Profile

Hi retrolefty,

I know what you mean by the schematics... Dont have them yet, unfortunately (shame). Anyway, both figures I posted can be represented by same schematics. They are two different designs for same connections, maybe they are same effect so.... I will arrange the right schematics soon...

Thanks nofxx,
There are not any USB or Serial interface on the board but there are headers you can connect a USB or Serial interface. Im actually using the RS232 (Serial) interface to upload sketches, it's just this: http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2007/06/11/ttl-to-rs232-adaptor-explained/
From that circuit i did a small board for the interface: http://www.minasambiente.com.br/media/images/common/electronic/rs232.jpg
That was my initial idea, taking the serial communication out of the board to save space and serial connectors (that aren't that all cheap). This way I can program as much boards as I want with just one interface.

Then for USB I just have those generic Serial -> USB cables, that i plug into the Serial interface, it works. If you have a desktop with a serial port, so you're done with just the serial interface.
For the Serial interface you can use chip MAX232 instead of the two transistors and resistors...

About moving the layout to some standard format Im not so sure because I draw the layout by hand and parts have uncommon angles etc... Its something to try tought.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:13:53 pm by DanDare » Logged

Torino, Italy
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Dan, I like your project and I appreciate the effort in doing an Arduino with what you easily find in the local market.. km 0 harware ... sounds cool.

I would suggest start trying PCB cad software. It will really make everything easier to understand and develop.

Personally, I never used Eagle but without any PCB design experience I jump straight into Kicad. Eagle was not an option for a free (as in speech) software only person like me. Personally I consider using Eagle to design open hardware a contradiction.

So, I read that Kicad is hard to use, buggy, etc.. I actually been able to lear how to use it in a couple of weeks and to develop my own breakout boards without any major problem.

I can also point you to a project you might find useful: http://jeffrey.co.in/projects/gnuduino/

It has been done by a guy from india which had almost your same problems (not being able to find components locally)..

Also on the topic of DIY RS232-USB you might find this useful: http://www.tuki-tam.net/blog/?p=192
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:11:11 pm by fax8 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: