Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino on Ebay = knockoff??  (Read 7579 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Arduino's on ebay, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARDUINO-2009-Duemilanove-ATMEGA328-Board-Free-USB-Cable_W0QQitemZ130359247852QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5a0443ec#ht_2583wt_1167

are they knockoffs?

It appears they are not made in Italy...

are they worth buying or low quality?

NE Wisconsin
Arduino is the Better Stamp!
View Profile

Yes it's a knockoff. That's why they won't ship to Italy.  smiley-wink
They are made in Hong Kong. Not really cheap enough to risk the quality. Spend the little extra and get the real thing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:39:58 am by Photo-Worx » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

For me, it's about respect.  

The Arduino folks have very generously open-sourced everything.  The software.  The hardware.  Everything.  Anyone in the world can make their own copy, enhance it, sell what they make, etcetera.

The ONE thing that is asked in return is to NOT use the name Arduino.  That's it.  Not a terribly huge price to pay.

The people who made that knock-off obviously have NO respect for others.  Do you really want to do business with someone like that?

Sweden
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I don't hesitate to buy from HongKong, bought my Arduino there and lots of rc stuff and auto parts to my son. Fast shipping, always correct orders and much less money. Recommended! Check the ebay sellers feedback; a lot of feedbacks usally indicates a nice deal.
Use the saved money to buy more options to the Arduino!

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I don't hesitate to buy from HongKong, bought my Arduino there and lots of rc stuff and auto parts to my son. Fast shipping, always correct orders and much less money. Recommended! Check the ebay sellers feedback; a lot of feedbacks usally indicates a nice deal.
Use the saved money to buy more options to the Arduino!
Just go away. If nobody supported the arduino community then we would not have these great boards and then nobody would be producing them. If you are going to buy a 'knock off' then at least buy one from a reputable company that does not make it look the same therefore respecting the arduino team.

I am glad I bought my original arduino as an official board. It makes me feel better every time I use it. I now have a total of 4 (maybe 5) arduino compatible boards but I am always happy to use my original duemilanove board.

Mowcius

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

For me, it's about respect.

I quite agree on this.

This is actually illegal, because it pretends to be something it is not and trademark law applies. The customs could (and should) confiscate it.

There was a case in the UK where Ugg boots were being ripped off and sold on the net on sites that looked very much like the original ones. People paid £70 for something that should have been £140 and the customs just intercept them and destroy them leaving people without anything. I know they are very keen (maybe over keen) on this in Italy which might explain why they dare not ship there.

London
Faraday Member
Have fun!
View Profile

I also agree, although I don't think Arduino is trademarked so trademark law would not apply.

But if that ebay board is not an official Arduino board then it is passing off as something it is not. Legal or not, the community should not support suppliers that pass of fake boards as official Arduino boards.

I like a bargain as much as anyone, but I expect that Arduino software development is partially funded by income from sales of the official boards and paying a few dollars more to support the community seems a good investment.

Sweden
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that the Arduino folks "asked in return is to NOT use the name Arduino". It is not unresonable at all, and I will respect them onwards. I am always trying to do the right thing, within my limits. Where can I find more info about the framework around the Arduino project?
Just go away.
Nice attitude...

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Where can I find more info about the framework around the Arduino project?

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Policy

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thank you for your replies, I would much rather pay for the real thing to support the efforts of the Arduino team, as well as I will feel better knowing I have the quality, official, real board.

Also as a Canadian, buying from the Arduino-listed Canadian company linked on the website, I'll be supporting the Canadian company as well.

It would be nice if the Arduino team could get the knockoffs kick out of ebay.

Thank you!

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Nice attitude...
That wasn't meant in a mean way. If you did not know about thet then I will let you off  ;D

although I don't think Arduino is trademarked so trademark law would not apply.
You are correct (unfortunately). From my findings, the trademark request was refused so it could be used for anything but I think a lot of folks (like me) would get rather annoyed by that.
I think everyone respects it as a 'trademark' so among most folk it is fine but there is not much that can be done about the knowkoffs until a trademark is granted.

Mowcius

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

From my findings, the trademark request was refused
The reason given (in the U.S.) was "registration is refused because the applied-for mark is primarily merely a surname".  This is the same group that decided: "COOK", "BETTY SMITH", "MACFARLAN SMITH", "JACLYN SMITH", "MACEO JONES", "ADAM JONES", and, of course "MCDONALDS", are OK (the list goes on and on of surnames).  Even "VICTORIA ARDUINO" (coffee maker) was deemed acceptable.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

The reason given (in the U.S.) was "registration is refused because the applied-for mark is primarily merely a surname".  This is the same group that decided: "COOK", "BETTY SMITH", "MACFARLAN SMITH", "JACLYN SMITH", "MACEO JONES", "ADAM JONES", and, of course "MCDONALDS", are OK (the list goes on and on of surnames).  Even "VICTORIA ARDUINO" (coffee maker) was deemed acceptable.
Hmm, interesting. You think they'd accept a petition? Hell, I'd sign it!

Mowcius

B0100111001000011, USA
Edison Member
I'm confused.  Wait, maybe not..
View Profile

Perhaps it needs a first name too? smiley-razz

You think they'd accept a petition?

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt it.  I bet it'd go right into the trash smiley-sad.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:00:41 pm by Tchnclfl » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Perhaps it needs a first name too?
Bella ArduinoTM   smiley-grin

I bet it'd go right into the trash
I bet you're right.  I suspect that it has to come from ARDUINO, LLC to have any bearing.

I just find it strange, pathetic, and sad that the USPTO denied the application when they've granted much more dubious trademarks.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:24:53 pm by bcook » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: