Go Down

Topic: Uploading from within Ubuntu virtual machine (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

bach_tenor

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting sketches to upload to my Arduino Pro Mini Atmel 328 board.

I previously had no trouble uploading from Windows XP, and have the Blink test program currently running on the board. Right now I'm developing in Ubuntu, which is running as a guest OS in Virtual Box within Windows 7.

I think I have set up the serial port correctly, setting the virtual machine to forward its ttyS0 port to my Windows COM 3 port where my Arduino w/ 6pin FTDI board are connected via USB.

When I attempt to upload I see the sketch stops running on the board, and the RX and TX LEDs flash briefly before stopping completely. I then get an AVRDUDE error saying the programmer is not responding. I've gotten failed to synch. messages before, too, but have not been able to get those since then.

Does anyone have any insight for me on this problem? I've tried hitting the reset button before uploading and during uploading to see if I can get that to work, but no luck so far. Is there any trick to it?

Thanks,
Chris

mellis

I'm guessing that the problem is the auto-reset not happening.  Maybe try playing with pressing the reset button a bit more?  Or check that you have the right board selected in the tools menu?

pluggy

Try pressing the reset the moment it reports the sketch size after pressing the upload button.
http://pluggy.is-a-geek.com/index.html

bach_tenor

I'll give this a shot. Just so I'm clear, do I just momentarily press the reset button once the sketch size appears? Or do I have to hold it for some length of time?

Thanks.

wayoda

l give this a shot. Just so I'm clear, do I just momentarily press the reset button once the sketch size appears? Or do I have to hold it for some length of time?

This works (almost) every time  on my NG Board with an atmega328 replacement :

I push the reset button and keep holding it down,
then I click upload with the mouse,
I release the button as soon as the sketch size message appears

Eberhard

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy