Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: circ-03 project  (Read 1107 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, I have used pins 9, 3, 5, 6, 10, 11, but I'm not able to use the analogeWrite function to achieve an intermediate value. I could either use values 0 or 255….254 or less will not work properly, the motor hums and jerks periodically.

I tried the project with and without the optional capacitor. Furthermore, I tried with the USB being the primary source and using the 9V battery separately.

Projects 1 & 2 worked correctly with the analogeWrite ()

Pls advise, thanks

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

What kind of motor are you using? Are you trying to power it directly from the PWM pin?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

All I know it's a DC motor, and it's directly connected to breadboard, which is being powered by the 5V pin, I hope I understood you correctly

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

If all you know is that it is a DC motor, you should not be connecting it to your Arduino. It may (sounds like it does) draw way more current than the Arduino can supply without damage to the Arduino.

Figure out what voltage is required to run the motor, and how much current it draws BEFORE connecting it to the Arduino.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Why does it sound like he is using a servo motor and calling it a DC motor (granted, most hobby servos do contain DC motors - but they aren't referred to as such)?

Cuss, when working with electronics and computers, you need to get your terminology straight, especially if you want help on a forum. We also would like to see your code, and your hookup (a picture or two of your setup, and/or the schematic diagram of the circuit you are using would be VERY helpful).

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for the replys....I'm referencing the Arduino Experiment Kit guide.

They show pictures of how to hook up each component to the Arduino and breadboard. They explain clearly what to do satisfy the objective

The component details section describes the motor as  simply a DC motor. Below is a link to the same tutorial that I'm referencing in the kit's guide. With a picture of the motor and hook

http://oomlout.com/a/products/ardx/circ-03/comment-page-1/#comment-28

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

If you have the room on the breadboard (and the components), I would try one of the first two projects again, whichever is simpler, that demonstrates the PWM (analogWrite) working correctly - just to verify that the Arduino is working OK.

Once that is done, verify that -everything- is the same as in the diagram and schematic with your wiring; re-wire from scratch if you have to. Make sure you are using the correct components as specified, with the correct power source (you mention a capacitor and 9 volts - I don't see either in the circuit given?).

My guess is that you have either burned out a pin or something on the Arduino, or possibly burned out the transistor.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

@cr0sh, below is the breadboard view of the optional capacitor, with the following sentence below the breadboard diagram in the kit guide:

Note: if your arduino is resetting you need the optional capacitor

http://www.oomlout.com/ARDX/CIRC03/CIRC03-sheet.pdf

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

What happens if you disconnect the Arduino entirely, and connect the wire that would go to the Arduino (that is connected to the base of the transistor via the resistor), and hook it up to the 5 VDC rail that is powering the motor? It should spin.

Once again, I think you need to double check everything, and if that all seems OK, then try those first couple of projects again to make sure that the PWM is still functioning properly and that there hasn't been any damage to the Arduino (for whatever reason).

Another step would be to verify that parts, which are connected by jumper wires (or breadboard traces) are actually connected. Do this with a multimeter between the component legs that should be connected (all power OFF), you should get a short circuit reading (on a resistance range) - if you get an open somewhere (infinite resistance), then a wire or trace is broken for some reason, or contact isn't being made (try wiggling the part or wires connected).

I had something like this happen with a large h-bridge I constructed; the motor would only turn one way, but not the other. I thought I had fried a transistor or two, but swapping the transistors didn't improve things. It was only when I started swapping jumpers that I found that one of the jumpers had a poor connection (aligator jumper wires to connect the collectors of TO-3 cased transistors - where the case IS the collector - makes hookup a pain, and heatsinking more-so, especially if you have trouble finding insulators).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: