Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Duemilanove won't switch to external power  (Read 565 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

For my next project, I need the analog-to-digital converter (ADC) on the arduino to be as accurate as possible, and thus I need the ADC reference voltage to be accurate.  After some quick multimeter probing I find that the external power regulator outputs a rock solid 5.00v, while the USB power tends to fluctuate at around 5.05-5.15v.  As a result, I would like the arduino to use the external power from the regulator.

From what I've read, the arduino should automatically switch to external power once the voltage is above ~6v.  That doesn't seem to be the case for me  :'(.  As long as the USB connector is plugged in the 5v line will always read the 5.05-5.15v from the USB input, even when the external power is connected.

I took a look at the arduino hardware schematic and the power selection circuitry appears to be working fine.  When the external power voltage exceeds 7v, pin 7 on the LM358 goes high (measured 3.83v) and feeds into the NDT2955 mosfet gate.  But regardless of whether the mosfet is on or off the 5v rail still reads 5.05-5.15v.  When the USB plug is removed, the voltage will return to a stable 5.00v.  However, I need the USB for serial communication and can't remove it.

Any help would be appreciated,
Spectral

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

It sounds like you FET is Fu**ed and acting like a short.

You can always remove it completely.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm looking at the Duemilanove schematic at
http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino-duemilanove-schematic.pdf
Isn't the P-FET's source and drain backwards from what it should be?

FET = Flame Emitting Transistor

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: