Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Really basic question about creating a library  (Read 4306 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've been unable to create a library. I tried the 'Morse' example in the tutorial. I cut-and-pasted the text in the tutorial into the appropriate .h file, .cpp file, and .pde.  I stored the .h and .cpp in the \hardware\libraries folder in a folder called Morse, just like in the tutorial. I made sure every time I compiled a sketch to remove the .o file from the Morse folder.

When I try to compile, I always get the following (I've tried Arduino release 13 and 14 under Windows XP):

[glow]In file included from C:\Program Files\arduino-0014\hardware\cores\arduino/WProgram.h:4,

c:/program files/arduino-0014/hardware/tools/avr/lib/gcc/../../avr/include/stdlib.h:111: error: expected unqualified-id before 'int'

c:/program files/arduino-0014/hardware/tools/avr/lib/gcc/../../avr/include/stdlib.h:111: error: expected `)' before 'int'

c:/program files/arduino-0014/hardware/tools/avr/lib/gcc/../../avr/include/stdlib.h:111: error: expected `)' before 'int'

In file included from C:\Program Files\arduino-0014\hardware\cores\arduino/WProgram.h:6,[/glow]

What am I doing wrong?

thanks
Bob

Indiana
Arduino rocks
View Profile

This is due to changes from older versions of the IDE and apparently the code example has been updated.

Add this code to the bottom of your morse.h
Code:
#undef int
#undef char
#undef long
#undef byte
#undef float
#undef abs
#undef round

So now your morse.h file will look like this:
Code:
/*
  Morse.h - Library for flashing Morse code.
  Created by David A. Mellis, November 2, 2007.
  Released into the public domain.
*/

#ifndef Morse_h
#define Morse_h

#include "WConstants.h"

class Morse
{
  public:
    Morse(int pin);
    void dot();
    void dash();
  private:
    int _pin;
};

#undef int
#undef char
#undef long
#undef byte
#undef float
#undef abs
#undef round

#endif

View Profile

It works! Thanks for the advice.

Can you tell me why it works?

many thanks,
Bob

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I had the same problem with a library I was building. I think they changed where some of these data types are getting defined in the standard headers, but I didn't really bother to look too deeply. Someone suggested a different workaround to me that I think is a little cleaner than the one etrace gave you:

1. In morse.h, change the line that reads:

Code:
#include "WConstants.h"
to read:

Code:
#include "WProgram.h"

2. Remove the following line from morse.cpp:

Code:
#include "WProgram.h"

View Profile

I tried your changes and they also work.

Many thanks!

Canton, Ohio
Arduino rocks
View Profile

It would be very helpful if the author of the site modified the tutorial on the library example for morse.  This was a very well written and helpful tutorial right up to the point when it will not compile in the program.

Since this is such an important building block in the arsenal of Arduino, it would be a shame to have people stumble here.

The fix posted here does allow the program to compile and work fine.

meh
View Profile

It would be very helpful if the author of the site modified the tutorial on the library example for morse.  This was a very well written and helpful tutorial right up to the point when it will not compile in the program.

Since this is such an important building block in the arsenal of Arduino, it would be a shame to have people stumble here.

The fix posted here does allow the program to compile and work fine.

I agree.

I had the same errors listed at the top of this post when I added the LedControl library. I needed to make the same modifications to LedControl.cpp and LedControl.h to make them compile correctly.

I'm having even worse errors with the FrequencyTimer2 library (see http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1239820770), and the changes listed above don't work at all.

But I wonder how many more libraries I will download that have the WConstants.h and WPrograms.h problem?  Is this because things got changed in 0015?  Is it because of my Duemilanove?  I'm pretty new at this, not a C/C++ guru by any means, and it's kinda frustrating....

Seattle, WA
Just trying to get started (in a hurry!)
View Profile

And to add to the grief and adding an example of the potential for wasted time, wait until the Newbies such as myself run into this.

I'm running OSX, and I too got the standard errors mentioned above.  

I tried both changes (after deleting the first one), and I get the following ugly bits for both solutions:

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse2/Morse.o: In function `Morse::dash()':

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse2/Morse.cpp:24: multiple definition of `Morse::dash()'

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse/Morse.o:/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse/Morse.cpp:24: first defined here

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse2/Morse.o: In function `Morse::dot()':

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse2/Morse.cpp:16: multiple definition of `Morse::dot()'

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse/Morse.o:/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse/Morse.cpp:16: first defined here

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse2/Morse.o: In function `Morse':

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse2/Morse.cpp:10: multiple definition of `Morse::Morse(int)'

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse/Morse.o:/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse/Morse.cpp:10: first defined here

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse2/Morse.o: In function `Morse':

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse2/Morse.cpp:10: multiple definition of `Morse::Morse(int)'

/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse/Morse.o:/Applications/arduino-0014/hardware/libraries/Morse/Morse.cpp:10: first defined here

Couldn't determine program size: hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-size: '/tmp/build26855.tmp/SOS.hex': No such file

Hopefully there will be a resolution to this soon.

B

Seattle, WA
Just trying to get started (in a hurry!)
View Profile

To the group,

Please excuse my first post.  Obviously I had a duplicate copy running around.  Made the second fix, and all is well.

Still, I hope the powers that be fix the tutorial.

Bob

Rome, Italy
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I just used the first suggestion on FrequencyTimer2 to great avail.  Thanks!

smiley-wink

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I fixed the tutorial.  Sorry it took so long.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: