Go Down

Topic: Sunrise and Sunset (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Mike Rice

I've been using an algorithm for a few years which works nicely within the limitations of microcontrollers and their ilk. I recently needed to dust it off for a port to the Arduino environment, and thought others may find it to be of use.

So I went the extra step to create a library, which can be downloaded from http://swfltek.com/arduino/sunrise.html.

The download page gives all the details, but in a nutshell...

Create an instance of the Sunrise class, specifying the location and timezone...
Ask it to produce the time of sunrise or sunset, for a particular date.
Pretty simple to use, fairly accurate, and easy on the resources.

bHogan

Mike,
Thanks for sharing this library. :)
I've been running it for a few days, and it's accurate to 1 or 2 min. Pretty cool!  8-)
John
"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

Mike Rice

Brohogan,

The algorithm should be correct to within 5 minutes out to the next century, as I recall. But the original used 'double' values, so since Arduino uses less accurate 'float' values, I was curious as to how accuracy would suffer.

I checked every day in 2009, and spot checks (solstices and equinoxes) out to 2050, and it reported values within 4 minutes of the 'correct' value (as given by a much more elaborate algorithm), so I am satisfied the Arduino version works OK.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy