Go Down

Topic: max frequency of tone() (Read 3270 times) previous topic - next topic

Quan

Mar 17, 2010, 08:53 am Last Edit: Mar 17, 2010, 09:26 am by friedrice4u Reason: 1
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use the native tone() function to generate a 38KHz signal for IR transmission however I don't believe I'm getting the correct output.

tone(13, 38000,1000) should give me a 38KHz signal on pin13 for 1 second, however I only see the pin on for a very short time (definitely not one second). I lowered the frequency to 30000 (30KHz) and the duration is correct. I'm just wondering what the maximum frequency tone() is able to correctly produce?

I would like to use the tone() function instead of creating my own because it's non-blocking. :-?

=== update ===
i think i just answered my own question: most likely the argument for frequency is an int, which means the max value is 2^15... JUST shy of 38000.

Any suggestions for how I can get the library to support an unsigned int or long as the frequency argument?

cr0sh

Try a frequency of 32767 - if that works, but 32768 doesn't, then that is your answer (the frequency variable is an unsigned int, maybe?) - hmm, I am looking at the tone ref:

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Tone

Why don't these things tell you what the type of variable the arguments are? It would be very helpful!

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

cr0sh

Yep - I think we both hit on it! Its actually a signed int (-32768 to 32767) instead of an unsigned int (0-65535)...

As far as changing it - off the top of my head, no idea!

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

cr0sh

Have you tried passing it as 38000U?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy