Go Down

Topic: Code Generator, debugger, Simulator (Read 2450 times) previous topic - next topic

jkeny

Aug 16, 2009, 06:58 pm Last Edit: Aug 16, 2009, 07:00 pm by jkeny Reason: 1
Has anybody used Flowcode development software with the Arduino? Is there enough of a code library with Arduino that something like this is overkill for initial coding? Or is there still an advantage for simulation & debugging features?. http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/Flowcode3a-X.php

As someone coming to this with an understanding of binary, hex, etc but no C experience, I need something that gives me a coding leg up.

So Flowcode seems like a pretty good dev tool - I really like the simulation & debug aspect - it would appear to be easy to use & I like the fact that you can go with PIC, AVR or ARM uCs (not all in the one package though)and easily port between these uCs, I presume?
Birth, was the death of him

jkeny

Another issue is I don't want the endless cycle of compiling the code, programming the chip, & running the thing to find out it doesn't work so back to the code again & so on - you understand, I'm sure (life is too short   )

Using Flowcode (just downloaded yesterday & spent about 1 hr on it so far), I've put together a program which reads an ADC, tests a value and outputs a text string to an LCD depending on the value - all without resorting to C code. This sounds good but I don't know how it translates to the real world - only certain LCDs are supported, maybe other restrictions apply.

Maybe it's more suited for the core logic of a project rather than all the peripheral connections?

DaveK

Looks pretty cool.

As a professional programmer I'm not tempted just because I don't want to spend $200 (or $275 for the Pro version) for something that I already know how to do and only do as a hobby.

If I it saved me time on a money making project or if I didn't already have lots of experience programming I think it might make working with microcontrollers much less frustrating.

jkeny

DaveK,
It seemed to me like a good beginners tool & there must be a lot of beginners here?

I downloaded a free version for the AVR which is a fully functioning programme only limited in no of external components it supports. This could be useful for mapping out the logic of a project?

Can't find the link to the free demo version - it isn't evident from their site - I think it's on a forum of theirs?

jkeny

Aug 17, 2009, 02:21 am Last Edit: Aug 17, 2009, 02:46 am by jkeny Reason: 1
Oh, found the link for AVR Demo version - they certainly don't want to publicise it widely (maybe I was harsh - see below): http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=542

Edit: Actually, here's a better link to it as well as a course they provide on uc programming http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/LearningCentre/index.php

TBAr

Thanks for taking the time to locate and post those links. I'm not sure I would have been able to find them.

jkeny

No problem - it gives you a chance to try out a demo version & see how it measures up. I would be interested in an experienced Arduino user having a look at this software & see how suitable it is. Even though they won't use it themselves, it would be a useful evaluation for us noobies!

Please post your evaluations here

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy