Go Down

Topic: C compiler program (Read 2112 times) previous topic - next topic

YFZpilot

Well I'm looking for C compiler program, since C is arduino's native language i'm trying to learn to program C so that i could also make software. I have visual basic express 2008 and was going through some tutorials, but since i just notice that ain't arduino's language i'm looking for its equivalent.  I only see Visual C# and C++ can they run C or do i need an other software??? I like how Visual makes it easy to develop a GUI so i'm kind of looking for the same thing.

westfw

You can program using a C++ compiler using only the C subset (in fact, the arduino uses C++, but without actually talking about most of the C++ features.)

You can also get gcc (same compiler as arduino) for windows; see cygwin and mingw (for example.)

Hawaii00000

I've got the same problem. The only difference is I have a mac...so basicly what your saying is if I found a C++ compiler for mac it would work with no additional software?

halley

Dec 21, 2008, 12:47 am Last Edit: Dec 21, 2008, 12:48 am by halley Reason: 1
Hawaii00000, the install disc of Mac OS X has an optional installable package called "Development Tools", which includes a full C/C++ compiler suite.  No extra charge.  It's based off gcc, as westfw mentions, but has a lot of extras that will either make things easier or confuse things worse.  :)  Google for "learning to program in C on mac os x" or something like it.

Hawaii00000

But would I be able to program the Arduino with it, without any additional software.

follower

Hawaii,

You probably want this: AVR MacPack

--Phil.

Developer

The c language for arduino is very different from ansi c language, so search how to program on mac os x only won't will help so much, then it is a good idea look the following site:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/FreeBSD/CLI

I'm know that is for FreeBSD, but the commands don't are much different.

PS.: This site show how to do it using an Arduino ATmega168-based microcontroller so if your arduino is diferent from the one used on the site you will need to change some options.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy