Go Down

Topic: Lilypad bootstrap issues solved (Read 2321 times) previous topic - next topic

jcw

If anyone's interested - I think there's a problem with the Lilypad bootloader. It reports a 00 00 00 signature whereas the ATmega168 is expected to report 1E 94 06.

What I was trying to do is run a lone ATmega168 chip with the absolute minimum number of components required with FTDI, i.e. the reset pull-up and DTR capacitor. No resonator or crystal, which is why I selected the Lilypad as board before burning a bootloader into the chip via ISP.

On Mac, here's what I did to test this:
  • cd /Applications/arduino/examples/Communication/ASCIITable/applet
  • /Applications/arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -F -p m168 -P /dev/tty.usbserial-A900a4Pz -c avrisp -b 19200 -U flash:w:ASCIITable.hex

So it works, i.e. you can run a bare ATmega chip with just one resistor and one capacitor plus an FTDI cable or breakout board - IF you disable the signature check in avrdude with -F, that is.

FWIW, the error from the Arduino-0013 upload was: "avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature."

Suggestion for the next Arduino IDE release: a slightly adjusted Lilypad bootloader?

-jcw

mellis

Which version of avrdude were you using?  There are two methods for checking the signature of a device, and the Arduino bootloader only supports one of the two.  Unfortunately, the standard avrdude uses the other.  So we include with the Arduino software a patched version of avrdude that uses the other method.  What if you change avrisp to stk500?

jcw

Mar 04, 2009, 05:39 pm Last Edit: Mar 04, 2009, 06:01 pm by jcw Reason: 1
Aha! Good question, I think I figured it out.

I'm not using an unmodified Arduino-0013, I replaced tools/avr with a symlink to /usr/local/AVRMacPack (because gcc 4.3.0 is buggy for interrupt code and 4.3.2 works).

So I was using this version, which fails:
 avrdude: Version 5.5, compiled on Dec 13 2008 at 13:58:50
Whereas the original in 0013 is this one:
 avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31

Unfortunately, I really need gcc 4.3.2, so I can't go back. I've moved 5.5 out of the way and copied over the 5.4-arduino one. All is well now - thank you.

(I didn't try changing avrisp to stk500)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy