Go Down

Topic: USing External Editor (Read 11367 times) previous topic - next topic

ellrod

I would like to use emacs for editing source files. I see there is an External Editor option in the IDE preferences dialog box. I click on it and the IDE editor is disabled.... that makes sense.... question is: What do I do next ? In my project directory all I have is a .pde file which I can't edit. In the applet sub-directory I see a source file, do I edit that ?

I have tried but when I make changes and save it the IDE doesn't automatically sense that there is a new version to load. I don't even see a manual way to update the source file in Arduino. Is there more to linking in an external editor that I am missing ?
Thanks,
Steve

ellrod

From all the searching I have done on this topic, no one seems to know what the External Edit control does. Seems it just disables editing in the IDE, a sort of reminder not to edit locally.  

mellis

I think if you are using an external editor, the IDE loads the file from disk whenever you upload or compile it.  I don't think it will show the new version in the window though.  The external editor option comes from Processing and I haven't messed it with much.

Helge Milde

If you press ctrl+r (compile I think) it will refresh the contents, but I don't see why you would want that when you're using an external editor anyway.

I just edit in vim, and alt tab to do Ctrl+U (Upload) once in a while

tasasaki

I'm also using external editors (vim or gvim) to edit source codes.
When I edit an arduino code, I want the IDE to open the source file with an external editor.
For example, Ctrl + E shortcut has not been used yet, it might be a good way to do so.

DaveK

I recently switched to an external editor too (Notepad++). I was thinking it would be nice if when the external editor option was on the Arduino IDE would display a list of files associated with the sketch instead of the contents of the files. The files could be opened in the associated editor when clicked.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy