Go Down

Topic: Clear Screen on Serial Monitor. (Read 19034 times) previous topic - next topic

denadai

Hiho All!

I'm a brazilian guy and my english isn't pretty good. So if anyone can help me i will thankful a lot!

My problem is:

How i can clear the screen on serial monitor?

like we does on #C: "system("cls");" or "clrscr;"

I've tryed "Serial.Clear", but i don't get any results, only a big red message, on my board.

Sorry about the english.

Thx.

PaulS

Why do you want to clear the screen? It's a debugging window.

Closing it, and reopening it will clear it. It will also restart the Arduino.

You could also write your own serial window application. That's what I did. I have a Find field, to find data in the window. I can add additional features are they occur to me.

retrolefty

Nov 24, 2009, 04:58 am Last Edit: Nov 24, 2009, 04:59 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
Or better yet, instead of using the IDE serial monitor, use a real serial terminal program. If you are using Windows I highly recommend Brey terminal, it has tons of features, it's free, it's a standalone exe file, so no installation required. Along with tons of over commands, it has a clear receive window, clear send window.

http://sites.google.com/site/braypp/terminal

Lefty

denadai

Oh, thank everybody!

i want this code, because i'm reading the deegres of a servo and sending this data by serial, and debugging in serial monitor.

But when the debug gets a lot of lines, the serial comunication with arduino stop, and i need to restart the sketch!

I only want, try to clear the serial monitor screen to stop this error...

But i going to try brayapp like lefty said.

sorry about the english, one more time.   :-/

thx everyone again!

Osgeld

Nov 24, 2009, 05:18 pm Last Edit: Nov 24, 2009, 05:18 pm by Osgeld Reason: 1
if your using a normal terminal program i believe the clear charter is (ascii code)12 or 13
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

xp19375

To clear the screen in a terminal emulator, a standard clear screen command is (esc)[2J, so your code would look like this:

Serial.print(27,BYTE);   //Print "esc"
 Serial.print("[2J");

This will not work in the Arduino Serial Monitor, so you need a terminal emulator.  Since it doesn't use a serial port, you also need a serial port emulator.  DOSBox and Procomm will work.  Both are free.

Download and install DOSBox (I am using v 0.74), then modify the config file under [serial] and set serial1=directserial realport:COM1 (or whatever COM port you are using).

In Procomm, set the appropriate baud rate, using alt-p, and no parity, 8 data bits, and 1 stop bit.

Hope this helps.

retrolefty

Hope this helps.

It would have a year ago or so.  ;D

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy