Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My first proto-board Arduino, "Ghetto-duino"  (Read 1230 times)
Spokane, Washington
God Member
My name is Bob, and I'm an addict.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Well, you'll see why it's nicknamed "ghetto-duino"

http://picasaweb.google.com/jmcglo13/Arduino# For the rest of the pictures.

I'm fairly new to.. soldering, and creating circuits, obviously. smiley-grin

Criticism welcome, and encouraged! It's a little bit messy, but hey, it works. I'll work out the uber-ness later.

Any tips on soldering or general design would be sa-weet!

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

It's a little bit messy, but hey, it works. I'll work out the uber-ness later.

Yep, bottom line it works, I'm sure you learned some things and your next effort will build from this one. Having fun is suppose to be part of the Arduino experience.  8-)

You do however need to invest in some smaller size crystals.  ;D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170372572529&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Lefty
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:22:57 pm by retrolefty » Logged

Spokane, Washington
God Member
View Profile

You do however need to invest in some smaller size crystals.  ;D
I couldn't agree more, didn't realize they were that big.. but for $1 for 3, and was with some other order on e-bay, I just couldn't say no smiley-grin

And yeah.. I had a really weird urge to make it one night.. went to Radioshack at like 8:45, 15 minutes before they closed and bought the protoboard, the hook-up wire.. and a soldering iron tip.. that, well, doesn't fit, so I was soldering with an old ruined tip. (it's kind of shaped like a q-tip now:X)
It's all in the name of learning. smiley-grin

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

It's all in the name of learning.  

Yea, have fun with it. Don't cheap out on tools. Good quality will last most your life. Get a nice quality DVM if you don't already have one then a nice adjustable temp. soldering station.

You know about E-bay already, so look for bulk useful parts, rather then just buying for each project. You will save parts costs in the long run and shorten up project build time.

An old analog tektronics scope can be a great addition to your test equipment line up. I don't think there has ever been a better time to enjoy electronics as a hobby as today, and I speak from many decades of experiance  smiley-wink

Lefty
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:09:53 pm by retrolefty » Logged

New York
Edison Member
E != m*c^2
View Profile

I would suggest a Weller WESD51 since we're on the topic of good tools. I just got this a week back, this iron is a beauty... a bit pricey, but I learned that its worth it.  smiley-wink

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Nice one Captain - its amazing how few components are really needed to get these babies running.

Spokane, Washington
God Member
View Profile

I'm curious, I know the crystal is a bit high.. I didn't even think of that when I was buying them.. but is there a way to calculate the difference between the times?  The reason I'm asking, I can't get the VirtualWire library to work correctly, and I'm assuming it has to do with the timing.

But yeah.. FYI, do NOT buy a Radioshack Dual-watt soldering iron.. haha, I can't even tin the tip without it being on 40watt. But other than that.. trying to find a replacement tip for that thing is.. rediculous.. the guys at Radioshack have given me like 4 different tips.. returned each one, because they don't fit! lol.

Oh and about eBay.. I probably shouldn't have invested half of my income on parts.. smiley-grin when I stock up.. I stock up! I've purchased (without any reason other than I needed a few LEDs, but they were so much cheaper as bulk!)  100 RGB LED's with resistors for 5v, and 12v for $35, 100 N/O push buttons for $8, 100 R G Y B W Super Bright LEDs w/ resistors for 5v & 12v for $8.. uhh, a good assortment of 74HC595, 165, 164 and some others.. 40 in total for $7.. oh I can go on for days!
(Oh and these prices are shipping included)

But I think the next thing to invest in is some Strip board.. seems much easier to use than these PoS boards that Radioshack has.. they're okay for small projects.. but at $2 a board.. come on! smiley-grin

tytower

But But.. they gotta pay the rent Cappo.

How are you getting the pictures to come up ?
I can put the link in but danged if I can get it to display on this page.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:47:17 pm by tytower » Logged

Spokane, Washington
God Member
View Profile

Try using the img tags, rather than the url tags.

[ img]  blahblah image link here, to a jpg or similar picture type [  /img]

Take away the spaces in the brackets, but that should do it. From picasa on the right there's an Embed image link, I choose "Image Only, no link" and then choose the size, and copy the link, and viola! Semi-pretty pictures!

smiley

London
Tesla Member
Have fun!
View Profile

I'm curious, I know the crystal is a bit high.. I didn't even think of that when I was buying them.. but is there a way to calculate the difference between the times?  The reason I'm asking, I can't get the VirtualWire library to work correctly, and I'm assuming it has to do with the timing.

That crystal is just over 4% faster than the standard crystal.

Many libraries (including virtualwire) use a constant named F_CPU to calculate speed. F_CPU is set in a file called  boards.txt and you could create a new entry for your board with your crystal rate. But some published code may not work correctly if the cpu frequency is not  even number of megahertz. Although  I think virtualwire should be ok with your odd value so you could try replacing F_CPU in virtualwire.cpp with 16670000 and see if that fixes your problems.

But you may save yourself some trouble with time sensitive code if you can replace the crystal with the standard value.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 10:46:24 pm by mem » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: