Go Down

Topic: Master vs Slave? Arduino Android Interfacing (Read 967 times) previous topic - next topic

antwan

Jan 10, 2012, 03:55 am Last Edit: Jan 10, 2012, 03:45 pm by antwan Reason: 1
Repost - Confused before, sorry!

Hi everyone, I have been reading the forums and all about peoples projects which involve an Arduino-Android Interface. My question is this - instead of utilising a host shield on the arduino, making the android device a slave, is it possible to slave the arduino to an android usb host (Such as the ZTE blade, which works well with microbridge, and also supports the OTG hardware/protocols).

I would like to setup the android device as a control and command device for the arduino board, although I dont know how to actually create this interface, as everybody seems to use the arduino usb host shield, which I dont want to be spending on at the minute.

I see it like this:
When connected to the computer, the arduino is slave, and accepts commands from the computer -- so why can't this happen using the android as usb host? If i could implement the ADB protocl to communicate, I could interact with the arduino via ADB Shell, issuing Serial commands to the arduino device.

I'm really interested in he potential for this, due to the phones capabilities - Internet connectivity, sensors, camera feed etc...Starting with the very basics though haha

Thank you :)

antwan

As an alternative, how could i make a DIY Arduino-Android Interface using either Bluetooth, WiFi, or this http://pcengines.ch/wrusb1a.htm?
I have several spare miniPCI/PCI Express WiFi cards, usb wifi cards, various bluetooth dongles (including a belkin f8t012) -- might i be able to cannibalise any of these, bypassing the USB interface to set up a raw Tx/Rx connection?

antwan

Never mind, have a WRT54GS, am going to 'port' this tutorial to that device http://kennethfinnegan.blogspot.com/2010/09/hacking-wrt54gl-serial-port.html

Shall post progress etc once i get going, this will be next week :) Then to create wifi interface between androind handset and arduino via the WRT, this should be a lot more simple.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy