Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: (Help)My Ethernet Shield suddenly stopped working (Solved)  (Read 1455 times)
Argentina
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi to everyone, thanks for reading.

I've recieved my ethernet shield and it was working OK (without making portforwarding on the modem/router because I can't access it) but it was working ok with the example codes. But after I connected a Protoshield (with no components), then it just stopped working, I can't get any example to work. The protoshield doesn't fits very well upside  the ethernet because it touches the RJ45 connecter, but I've put some protective tape there before connecting anything to avoid contact between the two shields. smiley-eek On the RJ45 connector of the ethernet shield I only see the green led ON but it never blinks, and the right led is always off. I don't remeber if this leds were working ok before connecting the protoshield. Is this led states normal? or are they showing that something is not working ok??

Thanks for any help!  smiley-neutral

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:42:49 pm by monti73 » Logged

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

You should post a link to the ethernet shield and the proto shield.
You should also explain how they are connected. Which shield is connected to the Arduino?
Which model Arduino do you have? Does it work ok by itself?

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

If you remove the protoshield, does the ethernet shield start working again?

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Argentina
View Profile

You should post a link to the ethernet shield and the proto shield.
You should also explain how they are connected. Which shield is connected to the Arduino?
Which model Arduino do you have? Does it work ok by itself?

Hi, thanks for the answers!

I have a Wiznet w5100 and this protoshield:
I've attached a picture that show how they are connected and how the protoshield touch the RJ45 case (but I've checked and there is no risk when they touch each other, nothing is connected on the protoshield on that area)  smiley-eek-blue

The Arduino UNO R3 works fine, but something curious happened. I was getting an error when uploading a skecth, and I've checked and in the IDE Tools->Board, the board was changed to Duemilanova...  smiley-eek-blue I set it again to UNO and the error disappeared. Strange!

Another question... I know that my ports are closed, could that be the problem?? But its strange because it worked for a while

If you remove the protoshield, does the ethernet shield start working again?

Sadly no smiley-sad. It won't work. I've changed the UTP cable, rebooted the modem, change the ip, the MAC, but nothing smiley-sad

Thanks!!

* DSC00614.JPG (421.84 KB, 1296x972 - viewed 39 times.)

* DSC00613.JPG (421.69 KB, 1296x972 - viewed 37 times.)

* DSC00610.JPG (526.13 KB, 1296x972 - viewed 23 times.)

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

Try this test code. It checks the SPI connection to the ethernet shield. If the IP shows in the serial monitor as 192.168.2.2, then that part is working. If it shows anything else, like 0.0.0.0, then that part is failing. Check the pins (especially the ICSP pins) to insure good contact with the Arduino.
Code:
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>

byte mac[] = {  0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED };
IPAddress ip(192,168,2,2);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);

// disable SD card if one in the slot
  pinMode(4,OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(4,HIGH);

Serial.println("Starting w5100");
  Ethernet.begin(mac,ip);

Serial.println(Ethernet.localIP());
}

void loop() {
}

Argentina
View Profile

Try this test code. It checks the SPI connection to the ethernet shield. If the IP shows in the serial monitor as 192.168.2.2, then that part is working. If it shows anything else, like 0.0.0.0, then that part is failing. Check the pins (especially the ICSP pins) to insure good contact with the Arduino.
Code:
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>

byte mac[] = {  0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED };
IPAddress ip(192,168,2,2);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);

// disable SD card if one in the slot
  pinMode(4,OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(4,HIGH);

Serial.println("Starting w5100");
  Ethernet.begin(mac,ip);

Serial.println(Ethernet.localIP());
}

void loop() {
}

I can't believe it, it's working again!!! smiley-lol smiley-lol smiley-lol. I've tested your code, and it gave me 192.168.2.2, after that i've checked the ICSP connector but everything was OK, and magically it started working again!! I'm very happy ahah.

Thanks for your help!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: