Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino compilter Encoding to ISO8859_8 ?  (Read 1532 times)
Israel
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey,

I'm trying to make my arduino compiler support ISO8859_8 encoding so i can type in hebrew to LCD and to Serial Monitor..

Where can i change the encoding? any ideas?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I doubt the compiler itself cares.  The text should be nothing more than a stream of eight-bit values to the compiler.

The editor, serial monitor, and LCD are a different story.

Have you confirmed that the LCD supports Hebrew characters?

Israel
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes the LCD supports hebrew charecters...
And the editor too, but when im writing like Serial.print("[ch1513][ch1500][ch1493][ch1501]");
so i get gibbrish in the serial, and same on the lcd..

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Serial.print("[ch1513][ch1500][ch1493][ch1501]");
From what I can tell, the character encoding in that string is Unicode.  This is what the disassembler outputs...

Serial.print("\u05e9\u05dc\u05d5\u05dd");

A quick Google search and I found this...
http://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/ISO8859/8859-8.TXT

Try this...
Serial.print( "\xF9\xEC\xE5\xED" );
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:37:26 pm by bcook » Logged

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Yes the LCD supports hebrew charecters...

I know this may or may not be kosher for you (sorry, couldn't help myself  smiley-wink ) - but since you managed to find a character LCD that supported hebrew, do you know of one that supports Arabic?

On another forum I visit, a gentleman was looking for such an LCD; I told him it may be easier to use a GLCD, that I didn't know of an LCD that supported Arabic.

If you (or anyone else) know of one, I could pass it on...

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Israel
Arduino rocks
View Profile

From what I can tell, the character encoding in that string is Unicode.  This is what the disassembler outputs...

Serial.print("\u05e9\u05dc\u05d5\u05dd");

A quick Google search and I found this...
http://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/ISO8859/8859-8.TXT

Try this...
Serial.print( "\xF9\xEC\xE5\xED" );

it works, and Serial.print((char)136);
works too, but im trying to make the compiler auto work with
Serial.print("[ch1513][ch1500][ch1493][ch1501]"); so i wont need to search for encodings and unicodes anytime i want to write in hebrew smiley

I know this may or may not be kosher for you (sorry, couldn't help myself   ) - but since you managed to find a character LCD that supported hebrew, do you know of one that supports Arabic?

lol, not really a friend bought it from a store in israel, so i dont really know sorry. (but you really made me laugh)  ;D

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

im trying to make the compiler auto work with
Serial.print("[ch1513][ch1500][ch1493][ch1501]"); so i wont need to search for encodings and unicodes anytime i want to write in hebrew
You will need to get the Arduino editor to work in "ISO8859_8" rather than Unicode.  I have no idea how to do that or even if it is possible.

I do know that the Windows operating system has support for switching an application's code page.

Some other things that MAY work...

- An external editor.  The Arduino IDE has support for external editors.  Try to find a source code editor that works under "ISO8859_8".

- It looks like the "ISO8859_8" Hebrew character set isn't too big.  You could put a layer over Serial.print that translates the Unicode characters at run-time.  

- Use another editor (like Notepad) to enter the strings then copy-and-paste the strings into the Arduino editor.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:49:22 pm by bcook » Logged

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

lol, not really a friend bought it from a store in israel, so i dont really know sorry. (but you really made me laugh)

Well, I am glad I brightened your day a little, at least.

smiley-wink

I recommended that he use a GLCD, and so were others (apparently, someone even posted a link to a project for writing arabic on a GLCD - a font library rendering system of sorts). After your post, I then tried to look for "multilingual character LCDs" but didn't get far; it seems like you can only find english, japanese, and chinese displays on the mass market.

I am sure you can get others as well, but they would likely have to be a special OEM order kind of item (ie, order 1000+ direct from the manufacturer with a custom made character set on the CGROM). This is likely how your friend got the hebrew version; someone in israel likely sourced them special-made from a device manufacturer of LCDs with a custom hebrew character set on the ROM, and then they sell them to hobbyists and/or developers (that, or someone had done it for a device run, didn't make it in the market, and they landed on a surplus deal or something).

I know that Israel has a lot of "high-tech" industry (one company there, for instance, called Actuate - makes one heck of a nice reporting software package - it isn't cheap, though); I am not sure how much a place like, say, Saudi Arabia has - but that would be one of the few places that you likely could find such a device. Its such a niche item that only has wide usage and need in predominantly Arabic-speaking countries. I suppose for your hebrew LCD, it is likely only something found in a predominantly hebrew-speaking country, like Israel.

Lastly, I am not even sure if readable Arabic script could be fit into the dot patterns on a standard character LCD; the script is fairly ornate, and may or may not be reproduceable in a readable fashion, unless there is some simplified form which I am probably not aware of...

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: