Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LithPoly Charger, and parallel batteries  (Read 1442 times)
Monterey CA
Addicted to Arduino
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=280

Would it be safe to put 2 batteries in parallel with this charger? Would it but like charing one? I would be using 2 of the Sparkfun 6Ah batteries which is made of up 3 2Ah batteries.

Thanks

Current Projects:                    Arduinos:
Security Robot Tank               Uno
Security Robot II 4WD            Mega2560

http://mobilewill.blogspot.com

Australia
You dont have to touch powerlines for them to kill you, even looking at them for too long will make them angry.
View Profile

The easy answer is no, you always need to have one charger per defined group of cells, otherwise you run the risk of destroying the cells, your house and possibly you. This is because of the issue where if a single cell drops below a certain charge, it will never charge again, and by leaving this on the charger with a good cell, the charger detects the good cell and thinks that its fine to keep charging it. This charging will either do nothing or it will set the cell off in a violent combustion which will leave you at minimum quite shocked.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent di

Monterey CA
Addicted to Arduino
View Profile

Yea that wouldn't be good.

What about 2 chargers and then tie the outputs together?

Or 1 charger/battery for arduino/sensors and another set for the motor controller/motors.

I don't know if all this will fit on the dfrobot 4wd platform, but I am having problems with being able to draw enough power for full speed and using the dfrobot wifi shield draws a lot of power, more then that sparkfun one, which I might have to switch to. In the mean time using an xbee.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

What about 2 chargers and then tie the outputs together?
Sorry no.

Or 1 charger/battery for arduino/sensors and another set for the motor controller/motors.
Better - that would work.

Monterey CA
Addicted to Arduino
View Profile

Thanks, I might able to cram in another battery/charger/step-up lol. Maybe my GF can come up with something creative. I rather not have to buy another Wifi shield.

At least I can do testing and see if that helps. Maybe connect the USB to power the board and let the existing battery do the motors/controller.

Australia
You dont have to touch powerlines for them to kill you, even looking at them for too long will make them angry.
View Profile

The problem you have here seems to be what R/C enthusiasts have had for years, they solve it by having a small lipo for the control circuitry (5v) and then a complete 7.2 or higher lipo system powering only the motors and simply join the ground leads to ensure all the controllers work. In this way no matter the state of the motor battery, the arduino will work fine.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent di

Monterey CA
Addicted to Arduino
View Profile

Thanks that sounds like a plan. So I connect the ground anywhere right?

Australia
View Profile

Anywhere really, but for simplicitys sake, you might want to just link the negative battery terminals.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: