Poll
Question: Is it posible to realize  voice communication using unlicensed frequency spectrum protocols(bluetooth, zigbee, xbee, Dash7) ?
yes
impossible
may be feasible with some research work
no idea

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: DASH7 POSSIBLE WITH ARDUINO?  (Read 1767 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Please help me out.
I want to make voice calls using unlicenced wireless frequencies(bluetooth, zigbee, dash7 etc). Can it be possible using dash7?
I also want to know the main difference between xbee and dash7 and zigbee.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

IIRC, the OpenTag DASH7 folk were saying that their code was "unlikely to be usable on 8-bit microcontrollers."
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/opentag
They also claimed to fit in about 16KB of program space, so i'm not sure what the limitation is (maybe that 16K didn't include some needed "operating system" ?)

Not to derail your project, but  you might think about doing something with Amateur Packet Radio.  An Arduino-based TNC would probably be an interesting project in general.  Given radios with a high enough bitrate, it might be able to do voice.  (Not exactly state-of-the-art networking, but probably pretty educational!)

View Profile

Thanks a lot for your suggestion sir.
Actually we are thinking to run both voice and data using unlicensed frequency spectrum without involving the network costs. So, we got a vague idea whether it is possible to physically realize full duplex voice communication using the existing techniques like bluetooth, zigbee.
I just thought of dash7 looking at http://www.dash7.org/DASH7%20and%20433.pdf
Can i make this(data plus voice transfer) possible using zigbee or any emerging wireless technology?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Forget about wireless for the moment. How do you propose to get the voice data that you want to send from one Arduino to another?

On the other Arduino, what will you do with that data?

When you can get two wired Arduinos to send recognizable voice data back and forth, then you can add XBees to make it wireless.

Forget bluetooth. Have you looked at it's range? Typically 10 meters or less. You could just yell that far.

View Profile

My main motive is to achive data plus voice transmission using one of these technologies.
why cant we first deal with xbee modules instead of going to the wired arduinos?
If it is possible with Xbee, how should i proceed?

View Profile

There are already many unlicensed ways of sending voice. Not clear why you have rejected the existing solutions?

I am not really aware of such things. Please let me know them.

Sir, If arduino is not suitable, why can't we switch to other processor which can perform this task and get our things done using xbee?
Thanks in advance.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Well, I don't really want duplicated topics (and probably moderators also don't  smiley ) so I will ask to close mine and let's follow this one.
Basically the argument is the same: voice/audio transmission with Arduino, distances compatibles with Xbee applications (20-30-40 m).
I don't know any module or protocol to do this (in rapid prototyping like Xbee modules usage).

Thanks.

View Profile

My thanks to un1x for joining the discussion.

Sir,
Take an example of Bluetooth powered headsets. I think it is the best example for the full duplex voice transmission. They come with dual functions (microphones and earphones) enabling us to get access both to hear and talk.
So, if we try to extend this concept to zigbee/xbee, then its like we have achieved wireless voice transmission between two devices placed much far than the range supported by bluetooth.

If you say that its not possible with arduino+xbee combination, how do you want us to approach to realize this project?

Thanks.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Look at this, maybe it's a good approach for our problem.

http://www.areasx.com/files/articoli/8055/easyradioguide.pdf

All easyRadio modules seem to be a good solution !

http://shop.lprs.co.uk/index.php?cPath=21

They send/receive with the usual RS232 serial protocol.....not bad.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:51:44 am by un1x » Logged

View Profile

DASH7 is an Instrumentation network, for instance reporting energy usage, temperature, humidity, or location coordinates etc. But the way I'm laying out a shield with an SX1212  radio chip on it. Anybody interested?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: