Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Powering Arduino - Wall wort selection, need some help/advice  (Read 1220 times)
funky town
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I need to select/choose a wall wort to power an Arduino Duemilanove, and I went up to Radio Shack earlier today to find an appropriate power supply, by selecting one based on the criteria listed in this guide.  The guide states for a 2.1mm plug, but Radio Shack had measurements for inner and outer diameter, so  I was not sure what measurement this 2.1mm plug statement was referring to. :-l  (inside maybe?)

Also, when I got home, I decide to look through my junk drawer.  I discovered two possible candidates to power the Arduino.  One is a Radio Shack power supply with a Cat No: 43-742/743/744/747  The output is listed as follows, OUTPUT AC 9V 780mA but there is no labeling on the power supply describing whether or not it is center positive or not. :-l

The second candidate is US Robotics P/N 1.015.1286 with an output as follows, OUTPUT: 9V AC 1000mA.  As stated with the first power supply listed there is no markings on the power supply stating whether it is center positive or center negative.  If you can shed some light on this situation I would appreciate it.

cheers
-C

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I was not sure what measurement this 2.1mm plug statement was referring to
Yes it is the inside pin, the other size you can get is 2.3mm but this will not fit.

The output is listed as follows, OUTPUT AC 9V 780mA but there is no labeling on the power supply describing whether or not it is center positive or not

It's AC it doesn't have a positive line!

Using an AC supply is not recommended and while it will not break the arduino due to a protection diode it will not work well either.

funky town
View Profile

It's AC it doesn't have a positive line!
smiley-eek

Thanks, I was hoping one of these would work but guess not.

cheers
-C

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

You could get a  bridge rectifier, some filtering caps, run that DC into the VIN pin.
Or get a 5V supply like this one:
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=18520+PS
I power my arduinos with this direct to the VCC (Promini) or5v (deumilanove) pin.
Lots of current for LEDs & stuff without heating up the board with its regulator.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

I would take my arduino to a surplus store and test out an adapter. There is always a chance the adapter is just a tid-bit loose and you're haunted by random power loss like I was once. Should be a couple of bucks at surplus stores. Just observe the polarity, has to be center-positive. Recycle and reuse! smiley-mr-green smiley-mr-green smiley-mr-green

Here is a blog spot:

http://liudr.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/power-your-arduino/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:02:36 am by liudr » Logged

funky town
View Profile

FWIW here's a picture of the finished power supply I assembled for the Arduino.

cheers
-C

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

So you cut the end off and put on a 2.1mm/5.5mm, center positive connector?
What's the output voltage of the adapter?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

funky town
View Profile

So you cut the end off and put on a 2.1mm/5.5mm, center positive connector?
What's the output voltage of the adapter?

Yeah, I cut the end off of one power supply that I picked up from a computer shop in town, and hooked it up to another power supply.  The output of the power supply above is:

Output: 12VDC 850mA
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:15:17 pm by ipatch » Logged

cheers
-C

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yep, that'll work. Your regulator may run a little warm, but that will work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: