Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Shadow Coat - Analog Input device / Motion Capture  (Read 2392 times)
God Member
a, b = b, a+b
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi everyone

I have had some threads on this project at verious stages in the old forum. If you've all seen enough of this tell me, I'm not sure if I should be reposting this.

For thos of you who are not familiar with my project: I want to build a motioncapture system which does not rely on any external equipment (such as vicon or kinect... or even simple webcams.) I would like to use it as an input device for a wearable context aware computer, as well as for remote controlling telerobots and art projects.

I just built a new prototype (sadly, again, I got only a fraction of my ideas implemented, however, due to some cable management, this one is a lot more practical and expandable than the last one.) I guess the most progress I made since I last posted something is on the code.

So, take a look:

you can find a more edetailed description on my blog, here: http://fkeel.blogspot.com/2011/02/shadowcoat-v-002.html

Some older demos of the old prototype can be found here:

Anyway, I would be interested to read your thoughts on the project... getting some feedback usually really motivates me to continue working on stuff like this.

So yep. Tell me what you think

Cheers

P.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:06:06 am by fkeel » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Pretty cool.  Need glovelike next to be activated by back of fingers for mouse buttons.
Fingers extending to move mouse, knuckles bending for cliclks.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

God Member
a, b = b, a+b
View Profile

I actually started with a glove :-)

The reason why I am not pursuing that is, becouse I am more interested in generall body motion, and I dont see this ever becoming a precision control tool. A cool application I would like to create would having a dancer wear a suit like this, and then modelling volume and bpm of the music as well as the stage lighting to the dancers movements...

There is this guy Jeff Rowburg (http://www.keyglove.net/) who is building some awesome gloves... I am sort of waiting for him to finish ... he is doing amazing work. I imagine that it might be cool to combine what the two of us are doing :-)

anyway. I need sleep. good night, thanks for all the pointers you gave.

God Member
a, b = b, a+b
View Profile

hehe ... so the ambilight project by royboy inspired me to do this:

I need to do a lot of finetuning - I would like the colours to sort of fluidly change from one to the other - I'll implement that eventually. Right now I just wanted to check if it works in theory. And it looked cool, so I turned on my webcam :-D

http://fkeel.blogspot.com/2011/02/raibowcoat-shadowcoat-with-some-color.html

cheers and good night

p.

Atlanta
Arduino still rocks
View Profile

Very nice !

Your work has greatly increased my interest in this technology.  Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work.

View Profile

it probably goes without saying, but you have an awesome idea here. this could be used for all sorts of ideas and with more bands added you could easily get it 'fine' tuned. also, focusing the bands on only the joints would greatly improve the accuracy.

just think, this could be used for pants (like those nike shoes) that have a pedometer in them. you could obviously have a nice way to interface with a computer as you did. what minimum power requirements do you think this could be brought down to? I ask because there are more and more ways to 'wirelessly' charge things, ie this technology could be woven into clothes, and you wouldn't even need to plug into the computer your 'standing near'. it could have some kind of proximity power supply (lest hope you don't get cancer with that, eh? lol) and turn on all by itself - possibly with a very weak transmitter back to the nearby computer for sending the values. suddenly that wifi tshirt on thinkgeek is sounding like a good place to start... smiley-grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: