Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Ethernet Board upload problem  (Read 10179 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

thanks for your help and for the tip. The guys at FabLab made the firmware update and it works well now.

Thanks again!

Botond

View Profile

Hi everybody,
this is just so add my two cents to the discussion...

I have got an Arduino Ethernet board (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardEthernet) and a DFRobot FTDI Basic Breakout 3.3/5VR  USB-2-Serial adapter (http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=FTDI&product_id=147).

I tried to program it using Windows 7 64bit. I downloaded the Arduino IDE from the website. When I plugged the USB-2-Serial adapter into one of the USB ports, Windows 7 installed automatically the driver (I checked they are the latest ones: 2.08.14).

When I tried to upload a sketch into the Arduino Ethernet board, I got the message of death: "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" and nothing else. I had no way to successfully upload any sketch.

I tried everything (changing baud rate, programmer, protocol, board.txt, programmers.txt, etc.) in every reasonable combination. But nothing!
At the end I was going to surrend. Even because I read this thread declaring that the problem is in the Arduino Ethernet bootloader and it is needed another Arduino board to solve all the issues. But what if I do not have another Arduino board?!?!

Fortunately, I did another try.

I have a Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 distro) installed in a 32bit PC. I installed the linux version of the Arduino IDE. I plugged in the FTDI adapter and... magically linux installed automatically the driver. I opened the Arduino IDE, selected the corret serial port and board (arduino ethernet) and it works!!! I'm now able to upload whatever sketch I like into the Arduino Ethernet, in a reliable and replicable manner.

IT SIMPLY WORKS!!!

If it works changing the host machine (from a Windows 7 64bit notebook to Linux 32bit desktop) it means that the Arduino Ethernet bootloader, theoretically, has nothing wrong...

So man, or I'm a lucky guy or something is wrong with the Windows7 64bit implementation of (1) the FTDI USB-2-Serial driver or (2) the Java-based Arduino IDE...

I guess that the Arduino IDE is OS independent. Thus the problem is, most reasonably, on the USB-2-Serial driver that is not resilient enough to work with the current Arduino Ethernet bootloader settings.

I'm not an an Arduino expert, thus I leave to others the possibility to provide a logical explaination of what happened to me.

Regards,
Vincenzo
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:52:51 pm by vincenzo_suraci » Logged

View Profile

HI vincenzo_suraci!

Arduino ethernet board with usb2serial doesn´t work for me neither. I am using 64 bit Windows. It should be take into acount because there is no information available. Any suggestion? i have the same error "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" and anything else, i spent money in this machine and now it doesn´t work.  :-S

View Profile

Dear magonzalez,
if you read my response, you can get how I solved the problem: I simply changed the PC. From my own Win7 64bit laptop, to a Linux 32bit desktop.
What I was trying to say in my thread is that the problem does not rely in the Arduino Ethernet, but in the Arduino IDE or in the USB-2-Serial driver used to program the Arduino Ethernet. Maybe it is just a bug that pop-up in 64bit win7 systems.

I repeat: I solved the problem (spending 0 moneys...) programming my Arduino Ethernet using Linux 32bit instead of Win7 64bit.

That's my experience.

Regards,
Vincenzo.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:54:26 pm by vincenzo_suraci » Logged

View Profile

Hi guys,

I have a clone of Arduino Mega with an Ethernet shield (W5100) and had the same problem with uploading sketches on Windows 7 64-bit with the shield installed (out of sync error). It was possible to upload only when the shield was detached, but it's a pain to develop/debug the skech.

I have managed to solve the problem without any intervention to software or hardware. Reading that the problem is related to resetting the device before uploading, I have simply pressed the reset button once, when the "Uploading..." message appeared. You don't need to be spot on with the timing, just watch the message window and as soon as you see "Uploading...", press the button and your sketch should be uploaded. Tried that several times and it's fine every time.

Hope that'll help you all. Let me know if that worked for you too.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

It was possible to upload only when the shield was detached, but it's a pain to develop/debug the skech.

This is specified for the w5100 shields that have built in PoE features.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

View Profile

It was possible to upload only when the shield was detached, but it's a pain to develop/debug the skech.

This is specified for the w5100 shields that have built in PoE features.

Yes, but when you reset the device before uploading, you can still upload the sketch WITH the shield attached, so it's quick and convenient.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes, but when you reset the device before uploading, you can still upload the sketch WITH the shield attached, so it's quick and convenient. 

Good info to know for those with the PoE ethernet shields.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Jump to: