Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Motorcycle HUD  (Read 17037 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hello,

1st time posting here. i came across this thread during a search for Helmet HUD and figured i'd chime in.  I've been successfully using an HMD in my shoei rf-1000 helmet for over a year now and will say the added safety enhancements alone make it hard for me to ride without it. Anyways for the display i use a micro display unit from micro optics and mount it inside the helmet with powerful magnets which keeps the unit stable yet adjustable at all times. 90% of the time i have it connected to a rearview camera attached to the rear of my bike (gsxr 750). This allows me a 170 degree viewing angle of everything behind me, eliminating all blind spots with a simple glance.  finally im able to connect and view a live image of my iphone with a simple cable swap for turn by turn gps, mph , etc

* 2011-02-24_21-39-45_698.jpg (113.8 KB, 538x720 - viewed 201 times.)

* hud.JPG (108.99 KB, 640x480 - viewed 334 times.)

View Profile

Do you have any more information on the display you used?  Micro optics and micro display are getting lost in a sea of generic search results.

SATX
View Profile

Do you have any more information on the display you used?  Micro optics and micro display are getting lost in a sea of generic search results.

ditto. This is precisely the type of display I'd like to use. Do you have a problem with focusing near then far/vice versa?

View Profile

No issues,  the optics are designed for near eye viewing. Name of the company is Kopin .   As you will see (link below) the optics alone are a bit pricy. If anyone is interested i have a complete rig (optics, driver board, controller unit =housing w/controls and rechargeable battery, plus special cable to allow connecting to an iphone) for 200.00 + shipping. No assembly required, just open the box, power it up and youre ready to go.

http://www.tekgear.com/index.cfm?pageID=2&section=103&function=viewproducts&nodelist=1,103

SATX
View Profile

Thanks for the info, those ARE pricey. PM'd for details on rig.

View Profile

This is exactly what I was looking for. I've been thinking about trying to do this and thought arduino would be the only thing possible to pull it off. Sure enough, after 2 google searches, I found this.  The only way (logical, safe, size appropriate, etc.) I see this being possible is to have a lens on the outside of the helmet. GoPro makes ridiculously strong mounting units. I'm going to try to take an LED screen, reflect it of a small mirror and on to the clear peice of plexiglass that you would see... I'll be trying some things out and will post any findings. I'm a little new to the arduino world so expect it to take a while... I think I might be able to solve the "focus on infinity" problem by obstructing the image on the LCD screen... We'll see i guess. Lol

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: