Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom motoryccle LED lighting  (Read 3439 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The project starts.

I plan on putting 24 RGB LEDs on my motorcycle.  I will document my progress here.  

My goals:
1) Get 24 RGB LEDs animating
2) Put them on my bike - figure out power source
3) hook up to a fonera router (or any other router that supports openwrt and has a serial port) to allow people that pass by to change the LEDs with their smartphones and laptops.  I go to a bunch of bike shows.  It iwll be an interesting social experiment to see if people can connect to the bike and then control the LEDs.

About #3 - I know where is the WiShield.  However, I want to make it simple for anyone that passes by.  Ad hoc isn't as simple has having an access point with dhcp and automatically routes http to the internal webserver.  Then people just need to connect to the access point with their iphone, smartphone, laptop and open a web browser.

I will be using the phpserial class to send commands to the arduino.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:45:06 pm by SirPoonga » Logged

ottawa, canada
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

what about letting people text a message to the arduino?

You might also want to limit what they can request to some set or sequence of displays.  if it's arbitrary text it might only be funny til you're asked to leave the show because of 'your' rude display!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

There won't be any text.  Just line animation like the video.  I have a 4 button remote that I am going to use to control it.  One button will be on/off, 1 for color 1, one for color 2, and one for switching animations.  The website will basically be the same.  But I can have drop downs to select the animation and popup color selectors.

I also plan on having a running light mode.  In this mode it can only be activated/deactivated by a switch on the bike.  When activates it takes no input from the webserver/remote.  Running lights mode will set all LEDs to amber.  This should be legal in the states near me.

At some point I would like to have a music mode.  I am not sure how I would accomplish that.  I am thinking a 3 band filter into three of the analog pins?  I don't know much about audio electronics to create the circuit for that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 05:38:38 pm by SirPoonga » Logged

ottawa, canada
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

for the input i didn't really mean "text" just cellphone SMS.  It would be easier for people to understand if just sending a text message to your bike would change the display.

You could maybe have the whole thing self contained on the bike.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yeah, everything is going to be on the bike.  For my current bike most of it will be under the tank or in the toolbox.  On my next bike it iwll be in the fairing.

The bike isn't going to be connected to the internet or such.  The wireless AP is going to be there so it is easy to connect to the bike.  I will probably control it with my ipod touch.  It will be an open WAP so anyone could connect.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Cool, I always like LED transportation lighting...

Where are the LEDs going to be pointing? Are they going to be under the bike, lighting up the road in pretty colours? smiley-grin

Mowcius

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yeah, mostly ground effect.  Will put one on each cylinder and one in the wheel well to light up the chrome.  I know there are kits out there and everyone tells me I should get one of those.  But where's the fun in that?  Plus then I have complete control over the animations.  I am looking into adding a SD card so I can just put animation information on that and add any at anytime without reprogramming.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Chrome...  Mmmmm, shiny..... smiley-grin

Using a SD card shouldn't be too tricky depending on what kind of data you are going to need to read from the card... You could also have different text files with different code and cycle them depending on time/day etc...

Mowcius

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I have to try some different LEDs.  I am going to grab a 5050 strip.  These super brights are bright but they are tough to mix the colors.

The files will have to have some format to them.  Probably first two bytes will be number of frames.  The next set of bytes will be frame delay information, then the last part will be the frames.

I will have some built in animations like solid colors and fades as those can be done through logic.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:27:45 pm by SirPoonga » Logged

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I have to try some different LEDs.  I am going to grab a 5050 strip.  These super brights are bright but they are tough to mix the colors.

Sounds like a good idea...

The files will have to have some format to them.  Probably first two bytes will be number of frames.  The next set of bytes will be frame delay information, then the last part will be the frames.

Also sounds good...

I will have some built in animations like solid colors and fades as those can be done through logic.

Ok, I'm looking forward to seeing the shines on the chrome...

Btw, what bike is it? (pictures please!)

Mowcius

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I have a 2000 Yahama Vstar Classic.  hopefully within a year I will have a new bike.  After sitting on the new Victory Cross Country I want!

The bike on the left

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I tested the current of the above setup along with the remote I am going to use.  The remote, when idle, takes 3ma.  So I will use that to turn the system on.  I assume a simple flip flop with relay should work?

The setup above measures 85ma max.  I was worried about the power and draining the battery.  But I estimate after all is said and done with those super bright leds it will take between 250 and 300ma.  Considering the bike has a 12v 10AH battery I don;t think I have to worry about the leds being on for a couple of hours.

When I add the wireless I might get a dedicated battery.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Presumably the lights are to be on when the bike is moving so becuase the battery is charged by the engine, it will just use slightly more fuel...

When stopped it should last quite a few days on that battery depending on the power consumtion of the LEDs

Mowcius

Arduino rocks
View Profile

You bring up an interesting point.  I am going to have a running light mode the system starts up in.  Around here only white or amber are allowed for extra lights.  In running light mode it will only accept one command, pushing two of the buttons on the remote to take it out of running light mode.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

So it is only going to be flashing when the bike is stationary? Why are you only allowed amber or white? In the UK you can have any colour anywhere as long as it is not a white facing backwards or a red facing forwards. Basically there are no laws saying you can't so you can!)

Mowcius

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: