Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Installing Arduino (023 and 1.0) on Linux -stupid errors- can't compile anything  (Read 7098 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
I am trying to install Arduino (probably 023 but same with 1.0) for MultiWii project on Linux.
I have COMPILED (not installed from packages):
- binutils 2.21.1
- gcc 4.6.2 with c and c++
- avr-libc 1.8.0

now I downloaded and unpacked Arduino package. OK,
but trying to build even "bareminimum" gives errors (023):

In file included from /usr/avr/lib/gcc/avr/4.6.2/../../../../avr/include/util/delay.h:44:0,
                 from /usr/avr/lib/gcc/avr/4.6.2/../../../../avr/include/avr/delay.h:37,
                 from /home/laurent/Desktop/Arduino_023/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_private.h:30,
                 from /home/laurent/Desktop/Arduino_023/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/WInterrupts.c:34:
/usr/avr/lib/gcc/avr/4.6.2/../../../../avr/include/math.h:426:15: error: expected identifier or '(' before 'double'
/usr/avr/lib/gcc/avr/4.6.2/../../../../avr/include/math.h:426:15: error: expected ')' before '>=' token

with 1.0 errors are different:

/home/laurent/Desktop/arduino-1.0/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Print.cpp: In member function 'size_t Print::print(const __FlashStringHelper*)':
/home/laurent/Desktop/arduino-1.0/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Print.cpp:44:9: error: 'prog_char' does not name a type
/home/laurent/Desktop/arduino-1.0/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Print.cpp:47:23: error: 'p' was not declared in this scope

I CAN compile examples shipped with avr-libc.
everything for avr is installed in /usr/avr/*

Any ideas? [what is my stupid error?]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:58:05 am by laurentp » Logged

View Profile

This is terrible.   I am having the exact same issue.    Examples should work out of the box without library issues.    Is there a fix for this?

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

I know this bug. This is caused by a "#define round" macro that was in wiring.h in V0022.
In file included from /usr/avr/lib/gcc/avr/4.6.2/../../../../avr/include/util/delay.h:44:0,
                 from /usr/avr/lib/gcc/avr/4.6.2/../../../../avr/include/avr/delay.h:37,
                 from /home/laurent/Desktop/Arduino_023/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_private.h:30,
                 from /home/laurent/Desktop/Arduino_023/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/WInterrupts.c:34:
/usr/avr/lib/gcc/avr/4.6.2/../../../../avr/include/math.h:426:15: error: expected identifier or '(' before 'double'
/usr/avr/lib/gcc/avr/4.6.2/../../../../avr/include/math.h:426:15: error: expected ')' before '>=' token
Look in
/home/laurent/Desktop/Arduino_023/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_private.h:30,
and check for a "#define round" macro and comment it out. It is trying to replace the round function in math.h at line 426.

View Profile

Great, it worked (at least for "bareminimum")...
EDIT: MultiWii compiles too,thanks.

With a small correction: i have found that macro in wiring.h not in wiring_private.h.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:27:55 am by laurentp » Logged

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

With a small correction: i have found that macro in wiring.h not in wiring_private.h.
Oops. My bad. I thought wiring.h disappeared in V0023, but I guess it disappeared in V1.0.
I skipped V0023 altogether. I'm using v0022 and testing v1.0 now. smiley

That bug was due to a change in the avr-libc delay function. Starting with avr-libc v1.7.1 and later (yours is 1.8.0), delay.h requires "#include <math.h>" to correct a timing error in the delay() functions. The "#define round" was for earlier versions of avr-libc to apparently correct an error in those versions.

I haven't ran into that print error in V1.0 (yet).

View Profile

I've got these issues too, Arduino 0023 works after the modification SurferTim mentioned in wiring.h

However 1.0 always gets the same errors about Print.cpp:

Code:
/home/thomas/arduino/arduino-1.0/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Print.cpp: In member function 'size_t Print::print(const __FlashStringHelper*)':
/home/thomas/arduino/arduino-1.0/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Print.cpp:44:9: error: 'prog_char' does not name a type
/home/thomas/arduino/arduino-1.0/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/Print.cpp:47:23: error: 'p' was not declared in this scope

even the latest sources from git do the same thing. heres some info on my machine in case it might help:

amd64 gentoo with kernel 3.0.3

binutils-2.22-r1
gcc-4.5.3-r2
avr-libc-1.8.0

I can provide loads more info if necessary.

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

I think it is due to a deprecated typedef in avr-libc v1.8.0.
/**
   \ingroup avr_pgmspace
   \typedef prog_char
  \note DEPRECATED

This typedef is now deprecated because the usage of the __progmem__
   attribute on a type is not supported in GCC. However, the use of the
   __progmem__ attribute on a variable declaration is supported, and this is
   now the recommended usage.

The typedef is only visible if the macro __PROG_TYPES_COMPAT__
   has been defined before including <avr/pgmspace.h> (either by a
   #define directive, or by a -D compiler option.)

Type of a "char" object located in flash ROM.
*/
typedef char PROGMEM prog_char;

A couple things I might try in Print.cpp:
1) define that macro
or
2) change the data type from "prog_char" to "char PROGMEM" in print(const _FlashStringHelper*).

Edit: This variable declaration works with V1.0 and avr-libc v1.7.1 in Print.cpp.
Code:
/* Old code
size_t Print::print(const __FlashStringHelper *ifsh)
{
  const prog_char *p = (const prog_char *)ifsh;
  size_t n = 0;
  while (1) {
    unsigned char c = pgm_read_byte(p++);
    if (c == 0) break;
    n += write(c);
  }
  return n;
}
*/

// New code
size_t Print::print(const __FlashStringHelper *ifsh)
{
  const char PROGMEM *p = (const char PROGMEM *)ifsh;
  size_t n = 0;
  while (1) {
    unsigned char c = pgm_read_byte(p++);
    if (c == 0) break;
    n += write(c);
  }
  return n;
}
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:04:52 pm by SurferTim » Logged

View Profile

2) change the data type from "prog_char" to "char PROGMEM" in print(const _FlashStringHelper*).
I can confirm that your patch has fixed the problem here on Arduino 1.0 and avr-libc-1.8.0
Thank you!

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

I can confirm that your patch has fixed the problem here on Arduino 1.0 and avr-libc-1.8.0
Thank you!
You are welcome.

The bug has been reported to the Arduino crew. Here is the report if you want to follow it.
http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=795

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: