Anyone else crashing MS office over simple copy/paste on Vista?

I've been haunted by the strange problem of MS office 2010 exhibits, which is this:
At random if I hit copy, either with ctrl+c or just a copy icon, Word would crash. This is regardless if I am using Word in the foreground. I can have Word running in the background and try to copy some files between folders and Word would crash if I hit ctrl+c. This doesn't happen every time and I've removed office (32bit) and reinstalled it (64bit) and it still shows now and then. Googling didn't get me anywhere that was why I removed office and reinstalled. Does anyone else have this problem and have you found a solution?

Office: 2010 enterprise plus
Computer: Lenovo Y530 (I hate this laptop and the other Lenovo I now have)

I did downgraded ram to 4GB around the time the problem started showing up but no other programs are crashing except for Word or excel if excel is running.

I have not seen that kind of problem in decades. I suspect you have a "clipboard monitor" installed that is causing trouble.

I've been haunted by the strange problem of MS office 2010 exhibits, which is this:
At random if I hit copy, either with ctrl+c or just a copy icon, Word would crash.

…thats why I use a MAC!!! Since the time I bought it I have never had any Apple made applications crash.

Mac user for life!

Not any that I am aware of. I sorted my installed programs in reverse order of installation and removed a bunch of the more recently installed programs. May not solve this problem.

That's not a solution. It's like more problems for me. Last week I spent over an hour trying to install FTDI driver to a mac book in vein. What's not so surprising is that the mac book owner being a mac user for 10 years has never seen a terminal. I've never had any problem installing a windows driver for my arduinos. I'm not going for a mac. Not when there's free gnu/linux around. I'm not going to bff microsoft either.

liudr:

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=180472.msg1337849#msg1337849 date=1375326477]

I have not seen that kind of problem in decades. I suspect you have a "clipboard monitor" installed that is causing trouble.

Not any that I am aware of. I sorted my installed programs in reverse order of installation and removed a bunch of the more recently installed programs. May not solve this problem.
[/quote]

It may not have been your choice. Modern keyloggers usually check the clipboard as well, since password managers like Lastpass use it. 4gb of RAM is also pretty low on a modern machine, especially a Vista one (Win7 uses less ram). You may want to run RAM diagnostic utility to check for errors.

That's not a solution. It's like more problems for me. Last week I spent over an hour trying to install FTDI driver to a mac book in vein. What's not so surprising is that the mac book owner being a mac user for 10 years has never seen a terminal. I've never had any problem installing a windows driver for my arduinos. I'm not going for a mac. Not when there's free gnu/linux around. I'm not going to bff microsoft either.

I ran into the same problem but once somebody on the the Arduino Forum pointed me to which driver I needed it only took a few seconds!

I need pointers Drew. I wasted over an hour following steps online that did not work. Now the student, the mac owner is using a pc and he is not that good at it.

What do you mean by suggestions? Do you need help instilling the drivers on the mac?

If that is the case I will quote Nick Gammons answer to my problem…

Go to http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

You should get the file: FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18.dmg

Open that to get a disk image.

Inside should be: FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7.mpkg

Hope that helps!

I installed the VCP driver with the FTDI instruction but it didn't work. After I followed the steps to create some folders, copy files and create linkThere's gotta be an easier way to do this. There's tons of mac users using arduinos.

Using the instructions Nick Gammon gave me it only took me about 3min to install them and I did not need terminal. I did not need to create any folders, copy files, or create a link I just opened the disk image and it installed its self… just like when installing the Arduino IDE. Maybe you used the wrong driver?

I'll try again but I don't have macs to simply try. Will inform student to see Art department computer admin. They have a whole mac lab outfitted with arduino. Guess who is the more techie side in our university?!

liudr:

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=180472.msg1337849#msg1337849 date=1375326477]

[/quote]

autoruns.exe is a handy utility for finding/killing processes that are started at boot time or currently running. It's a definitive picture and will list any virus/plugin/library as well. I'm not a Windows user myself but with respect to all of the people's computers I get asked to clean up I'm absolutely amazed at all the junk that sneaks in.