Go Down

Topic: Just got new MCU Atmega 328P - PU, but LED13 stays on, cannot upload sketch, (Read 474 times) previous topic - next topic

rushimw

Hello Guys,
       This is Rushi. My arduino Uno board got damaged couple of days ago. I researched remedies on it, and found that it's MCU would have damaged. BTW when it was damaged, pin13 led was blinking nominally but no tx/rx (no upload). Hence I bought new MCU Atmega 328P- PU.

after installing new MCU, pin13 led stays on and never flashes, same issue with tx/rx as before, no uploading.
I bought MCU from ebay that named this "ATMEGA328P-PU Microcontrolle‚Äčr DIP ATMEGA328". I think bootloader is not programmed into this one.

I checked COM ports (arduino being detected in device manager), selected appropriate arduino board in "Tools".

while uploading I am getting these errors:
WARNING: Category '' in library EEPROM is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library SPI is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library SoftwareSerial is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library Wire is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.

I was quite careless, I bent one of the legs of MCU but it still there and not broken, I hope that's not an issue.

Please suggest me some solutions.

I am using it on win-10.
The arduino board worked fine for 7-8 months.

Thank you.

DrAzzy

If you didn't buy it preloaded iwth optiboot, you need to load it with that before you can upload to it normally. This requires either another working Arduino, or an ISP programmer like a USBAsp.

There is abundant information on bootloading atmega chips available through google search.

I'm surprised the pin 13 LED is on.

How did you conclude that your old microcontroller was bad? Usually if it's still doing the triple blink, the problem is with the 16u2 on the Uno board. Have you done a loopback test to confirm that that is working?
ATtiny core for 841+1634+828 and x313/x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts (some assembled), mosfets and awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

pert

while uploading I am getting these errors:
WARNING: Category '' in library EEPROM is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library SPI is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library SoftwareSerial is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library Wire is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Those are warnings, not errors. They are unlikely to be related to the problem you're having. They indicate you are using a very outdated version of the Arduino AVR Boards hardware package. You can upgrade by following these instructions:
  • Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for downloads to finish
  • Click on "Arduino AVR Boards"
  • Click "Update"
  • Wait for update to finish
  • Click "Close"

If you're using an old version of the Arduino IDE it may not be compatible with the latest version of Arduino AVR Boards that the above instructions will install so you might want to also install the latest version of the Arduino IDE (1.8.5 currently) available from http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software.

rushimw

Thank you DrAzzy.
yeah. I found the first online. waiting for another arduino uno r3 to arrive.

Two things,
#1, I wasn't able to upload any sketch. also no tx/rx blinking. Although once rx did blink but was dim.
#2, two legs of old MCU came. I did try to solder them with pointed metal from resistors but didn't work.

I did loopback test, no echo.

As you said problem might be with 16u2, is there any fix for that.

BTW, the old MCU would have been a loop from recent program since whenever I connect it to the quadcopter, it did give good throttle.

I haven't looked into 16u2 thing, can you provide more information on it.

I am actually aerospace guy, hence I am learning all electronics at beginner level.

Thank you

Go Up