Serve NTP from Arduino

I was just wondering if anyone had ever used an Arduino and an Ethernet shield as a NTP server? I know you can set the time on an Arduino using an external NTP server (the Arduino is the client), but I would like to hook up my Arduino to a MSF time source, and then use that to serve NTP to other clients on my network.

Does anyone know if this is even possible?

Thanks for reading my first post, BTW!

Sure it is possible but does make limited sense. With a long wave based time source you get an accuracy of about 0.1s (best case), in my experience (only with DCF77) it more at 0.5s. But if you don't fear the work you should be able to implement the relevant protocol parts into an Arduino with the Ethernet shield. I guess nobody has done that yet because a cheap embedded linux box (p.e. the Linksys WRT54GL) does that better and has ready made software.

I think what the original poster had in mind was using an Arduino with an external time sourch (like a GPS receiver) as a self-built NTP time server for other machines on the network. Instead of using a full-blown machine, this would be a nice, quiet, reliable way to do so.

This sounds like an excellent idea, and I believe someone was working on (see here). There are a few other projects of the type (see this one for a non-Arduino solution). Does anyone else have another project or some guidance, since I am also interested?

Taralas:
I think what the original poster had in mind was using an Arduino with an external time sourch (like a GPS receiver) as a self-built NTP time server for other machines on the network. Instead of using a full-blown machine, this would be a nice, quiet, reliable way to do so.

I'm thinking the same thing :). Use DCF77, or whatever you've got where you live, and GPS (for backup?) as timesources and then offer it through NTP.
Maybe hook up a lcd through I2C as well with this (since that requires less in/outputs) for status info?

Hi,
I want to make the same thing. Arduino as NTP Serveur with DCF77 and ethernet shield. I don't need precision. Just make a sync every day. I search to make it myself but if the solution already exist with the same price (just hardware, I don't count time to make it :wink: ). I could use it.
For me the harder is the ethernet code. The code for DCF77 is the easiest and I could find exemple every where.

Any idea?

Thx
Max