Go Down

Topic: DIYino - an Arduino compatible board for prop electronics (Read 35994 times) previous topic - next topic

NobAkimoto

I'd definitely like to purchase a couple. (Probably 2 or 3 for now.)

Protonerd

Noted, with some luck I can send them to you in July. This time I ordered a large batch in anticipation of the demand I've seen for the Prime.

Next step is to redesign the Prime and make it from High-end to UHE :)

NobAkimoto

For an UHE prime, I'd kind of want to see if it could push enough current on its own through power delivered through, say, a USB-C port. Something that would let you basically plug in an off the shelf portable charger like the Anker PowerCore mini (the lipstick case sized one: https://www.anker.com/products/A1104011 ) and swap them in and out easily. Obviously the USB-A/mini standard used for that generation of product wouldn't provide sufficient voltage or current, but since C 1.1 allows (at a minimum) 5V/3A, that might be feasible in the future where you could just swap a pack in and out.

Void269

Protonerd,
  I've been reviewing the pinout of the Stardust board and going over my blaster project in my head and I might be stuck. I'm hoping you will have some sugestions.

What I want to do:
Use a momentary switch for the trigger (obviously)
Use a momentary push button to rotate through sound fonts
Use a momentary switch for reloading action (when X number of shots have been fired the gun would make a 'click' sort of "out of rounds" sound unti the action slide is drawn back toggling the momentary switch "reloading" the clip)
And also activating a push pull solenoid, but only when there are 'rounds' to be fired

The first three shouldn't be an issue with the D11, D12 and D13 pins. However the drive of the push pull solenoid at specific times is where I'm stuck. Originally I was planing on using another momentary swith stacked on top of the trigger switch to drive the solenoid. This way every time the trigger is pulled the sound would fire and so would the solenoid. But with this aproch the solenoid will fire even if the 'clip' is empty. Also with different sound fonts I may not want it to fire.

Is there another option I'm not thinking of?  Also, can you tell me how the A0 pin is used?  In the manual it is labeled as 'digital I/O', just not sure if it is usful for me here.

Thanks!

Protonerd

Protonerd,
  I've been reviewing the pinout of the Stardust board and going over my blaster project in my head and I might be stuck. I'm hoping you will have some sugestions.

What I want to do:
Use a momentary switch for the trigger (obviously)
Use a momentary push button to rotate through sound fonts
Use a momentary switch for reloading action (when X number of shots have been fired the gun would make a 'click' sort of "out of rounds" sound unti the action slide is drawn back toggling the momentary switch "reloading" the clip)
And also activating a push pull solenoid, but only when there are 'rounds' to be fired

The first three shouldn't be an issue with the D11, D12 and D13 pins. However the drive of the push pull solenoid at specific times is where I'm stuck. Originally I was planing on using another momentary swith stacked on top of the trigger switch to drive the solenoid. This way every time the trigger is pulled the sound would fire and so would the solenoid. But with this aproch the solenoid will fire even if the 'clip' is empty. Also with different sound fonts I may not want it to fire.

Is there another option I'm not thinking of?  Also, can you tell me how the A0 pin is used?  In the manual it is labeled as 'digital I/O', just not sure if it is usful for me here.

Thanks!
On my E11 blaster build I use only the trigger to implement all features you described. But if you prefer to attach a different switch to all of these features, you need maybe a Prime, which has tons of digital signals.
Or as an alternative you might in fact use A0, I included it as an aux signal in case someone wants an ADC to measure something, but A0 can also be configured as a regular digital I/O, so you can use it for sure. As for the solenoid firing at clipout, it can be programmed differently :) Software is a powerful means to reach your target with Arduino.

Void269

but A0 can also be configured as a regular digital I/O, so you can use it for sure.
Perfect!  That is what I was hoping to hear. Now I just need to learn how to use it. Admittedly I have no expiriance with arduino`s so I just bought a cheap board to teach myself.  Wish me luck!

Protonerd

Perfect!  That is what I was hoping to hear. Now I just need to learn how to use it. Admittedly I have no expiriance with arduino`s so I just bought a cheap board to teach myself.  Wish me luck!
You are on the right way if you are willing to learn. Blasters are a good way to pick up coding skills are they are comparably simpler than lightsabers, therefore optimal for beginners. Good thing about Arduino is, that you can reach experienced level fast.

Void269

Protonerd, have you started shipping the Stardust board?  If so what is the total cost and what's your preferred method of payment?

Protonerd

I will update the first post.

I prefer PayPal, the price for the Stardust will be 54 EUR + shipping.

Void269

Payment sent for 1x Stardust board!  My first step to getting in the ranks of the 501st!!  (Now to start 3d printing the suit)

Protonerd

Here is a video showing a demo of the Stardust V2 board:

https://youtu.be/ThT7TGxRyZk

I created this one to show both a lightsaber prop as well as a blaster in action. Saber uses high power LEDs as source of illumination while the blaster is a full neopixel build.

Void269

That's awesome! I may need to make a YouTube video of my  blaster once done. I still have a lot of chalenges to overcome with my 3D model before I start printing it though.

Protonerd

Just out of curiosity: what type of 3D printer are you using and with what CAD?

Void269

I use a Prusa i3 mk2s 3D printer (http://www.prusa3d.com).  It's by far the best printer I've used. I highly recommend it.   As for the CAD program, I use Sketchup but it can be a pain in the @$$ at times.  I'm in the market for a good replacement.

chicokiri

I've a crossguard saber and a blaster rifle that could definitely use some neopixel love. I'll be getting in touch for two boards shortly.

Go Up