New Icon?

I put machine headers on it, and they SUCK so it takes heavy amounts of force to push wires into them and they are bending

and of course modern device subscribes to the modern notion that pcb pads should only be 3 atoms of copper wide, so you cant unsolder them (I already learned that when I got it, if you look under mine there are 4 wirewrap jumpers on it)

I put machine headers on it, and they SUCK so it takes heavy amounts of force to push wires into them and they are bending

and of course modern device subscribes to the modern notion that pcb pads should only be 3 atoms of copper wide, so you cant unsolder them (I already learned that when I got it, if you look under mine there are 4 wirewrap jumpers on it)

i feel ya. plated through holes can be a real pain to rework!

hmm... i was considering machine headers for a couple of my boards as i thought the standard ones sucked... :frowning:

well i was going to recommend this board as a super bargain alternative to the duemilanove, but it looks like the price has gone up a few bucks. its still a bargain at $25 imo! clever layout, selectable voltage, shiny solder joints! its by far my favorite board!
-sj

my experiance with machined headers is

they are either way too tight or way too loose

square pegs do not fit round holes

and they are more expensive than the el cheapo spring loaded ones, and often times more shallow, so when you do get a wire shoved in one you may think "great that bugger is in there" but its in there like 1/8th of an inch and will pop out just as easily :stuck_out_tongue:

milage may vary, many people like them, after dealing with them at home, and at work its not worth the money to me

my experience with the stackable headers has been hit or miss. mostly miss! i see what you're saying about the machine type plus it would be $$$ to convert everything i own.

i think i might try tining some of the thinner ones to add some bulk to the legs...
-sj

Hmm, how mysterious and exciting, perhaps its an atmega32+usb+lufa...which should have been done a long time ago. Although, the onboard USB is sometimes a pain in the ass. As a developer at LeafLabs I can tell you this problem is a sticky one, that were working hard to make go away.

I suppose we will all find out at Maker Faire this weekend!

um some of us will find out, the rest of us will have to wait some more to see whats up ...

I am not going to act all gruffy expecting "them" to work on my schedule and I do appreciate the heads up, or else I might have been miffed at a new board after purchasing another

but DAMN man lets get on with it :stuck_out_tongue:

on a side note who do I have to bribe to get the fair to go south of san fran, California? Detroit? NYC? what about Texas and Georgia or Tennesee? there is 2/3rds of a country below their locations! (and yes we do have electricity and roads in Nashville)

who do I have to bribe to get the fair to go south of san fran, California? Detroit? NYC? what about Texas

Apparently there were fairs in Austin, TX in 2007 and 2008, but they lost money due to insufficient sponsorship: Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers |

Probably the weirdo/redneck ratio is too low within the 100mile radius . :slight_smile:

ok texas may be a bad example, its quite sparce tween areas, but in Nashville in less than a workdays drive we have

Birmingham
Huntsville
Atlanta
Louisville
Memphis
Evensville

these are not small towns (yea smaller cities but...)

Based out of Atlanta you get much of the same but with NC SC and Flordia in the mix

If were big enough to have national televised events multiple times a year, and Atlanta is big enough for the summer Olympics, surely they can drum up some interest for a hobby fair

I find it interesting I can see Egyptian artifacts in person multiple times in my life without leaving the state, attend the Olympics, and have had attended speeches with George W and ole AL G (and recently stuck in traffic cause of Biden) , but cant see sparkfuns dumbarse 6 foot nes controllers!

(especially compared to Detroit, my god who wants to go there, its cold dirty and boring)

I find it interesting I can see Egyptian artifacts in person multiple times in my life without leaving the state, attend the Olympics, and have had attended speeches with George W and ole AL G (and recently stuck in traffic cause of Biden) , but cant see sparkfuns dumbarse 6 foot nes controllers!

lol

Based out of Atlanta you get much of the same but with NC SC and Flordia in the mix

i would highly consider a road trip to atl for such an occasion!

im craving R Thomas 4:00am penne pasta! mmm...
-sj

"we are cooking something new for you"
You also cook (fry) us (at small fire)!

Vasi

they are out!!!!!

first :slight_smile:

not really there are two topics in bar sport :stuck_out_tongue:

What's this tinker toolkit thing that they announced?

What's this tinker toolkit thing that they announced?

I started a thread about this a few days ago,

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1283739841

it seemed like they had just dissapeared.

They are small IO modules that appear to connect to Arduinos via an as yet undesclosed interface. All sorts seem to be avaliable, switches, displays, touch sensors, etc. I'll see if I can find some details, I have a couple of photos somewhere.

EDIT: Found a link to an article.

http://www.fashioningtech.com/profiles/blogs/tinkerkit-a-physical-computing

Note the date though, maybe not accurate any more.

Nice photo on the main page right now!

Well - I have to say that I like the new icon; it would probably look good on the taskbar, as the IDE icon, etc. I was worried it was going to stay that "teal" dot...

:wink:

yea now its a teal dot with a infinity sign in it ::slight_smile: (kinda looks like a minimalistic south park type character wearing classes with pink eye)

whatever I am not here to critique a 2 color icon :wink:

If anybody is interested, I have made an svg of the icon:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Arduino_Icon.svg

Digger of Data

If anybody is interested, I have made an svg of the icon

Thank you, now I can remove the ugly placeholder I used in my Gnome menu.

Korman