Using IR sensor VS1838b to detect infrared level from IR led on Arduino UNO

Hi. I am trying to make two things: a pulse oximeter, and a heart beat sensor. Both require an infrared led and a receiver, either receiving the infrared light passing through your finger or the amount bouncing back. I have tried to research how to pick up the amount of IR light being cast from the IR led, but can only find stuff about using infrared light with remotes, which is not what I want to do. I am using a VS1838b receiver and just a regular 5mm infrared led. If anyone could help that would be great and as soon as possible please. Thx!

That receiver is meant to decode IR remote signals modulated at 38KHz. I don't think that it is possible to use it to measure the intensity of IR light. I have seen sensors to do what you want. I think they were called heartbeat sensors.

A search for "Arduino heartbeat sensor" give many hits including KY039 Arduino Heart rate code - Programming Questions - Arduino Forum

groundfungus:
That receiver is meant to decode IR remote signals modulated at 38KHz. I don't think that it is possible to use it to measure the intensity of IR light. I have seen sensors to do what you want. I think they were called heartbeat sensors.

A search for "Arduino heartbeat sensor" give many hits including KY039 Arduino Heart rate code - Programming Questions - Arduino Forum

Thank you for clarifying that. I have a KY039 heart beat sensor but I don't think it is working. When I put my finger in between the infrared light and receiver, it gives a constant number, meaning it can't detect the heart beat. Any ideas for that? Thx again.

Read through the thread that I linked. They had a similar problem. Aligning the IR LED nd photo transistor improved things.

You can check that the LED is working by powering it an looking through a cell phone camera. You should see it glow.

Read through the entire thing and finally got it! Works perfectly thx so much for getting back so quick.