NewPing Library: HC-SR04, SRF05, SRF06, DYP-ME007, Parallax PING))) - v1.7

teckel:
Your sensor says SR04 on it, right?

If it's not working with the demo code, another possibility is the sensor. I have several SR04 sensors, but one is just not right. It likes to give 0cm readings, it's either hard of hearing, soft spoken, or there's some kind of logic problem. As punishment, and to insure I don't pull my hair out thinking it's my code, I wrote with a fine tip Sharpie on the sensors "Bad" - "Robot". To verify the problem wasn't my library, I tried another ping library as well as direct code I wrote without a library with the same result. It basically only works closer than about 50cm, then it gets all wonky. Of course, it was one of the sensors I got on eBay direct from China for $2, so it's kind of expected. I keep it around because I figure other people purchase these $2 sensors that are probably also defective. So, I should try to make the library work as best as I can with a defective sensor.

Tim

The sensor does read HC-SR04 between the transducers, yes. I'm not sure that I'm getting a proper understanding of versions. A search for updates for my Uno gave me an IDE update from 1.0 to 1.0.1 which has been completed. Is there anything else to update/change? I was not able to find a reference to 0223 that made sense to me. Some references to linux but I'm using win7 platform.

With the demo code, it is still necessary to hit the on-board reset button to get data, but if it's the sensor that's faulty and that's the only shortcoming it is going to display, I can tolerate that for the present.

All the benefits of NewPing and the most beneficial to me is the ease of use. I'll be measuring about four times an hour, so speed isn't critical. A 24 inch range is well within the limitations of this device. The rest of this project is "fluff" and fine tuning and fun.

Is there more to an "update" than what I've described above? Where else to check version information if there is more to it?

thanks