HDD Read?

Is it possible to read a HDD with the Arduino boards? I have an idea for the Due board. [USB/IDE/SATA connected HDD's?]

And if so how have people got on with accessing them?

No.

I remember seeing some projects done for ide drives, here is the first one that popped up: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=70086.0

The due board has a USB host, so If you could get the USBMassStorage class running, then flash drives and external HDD's are an option. There is some code available ( arduino due USB was/still is based on a library that has many USB classes.

@ James C4S,
I dont believe the answer is that simple, No to the normal everyday Arduino tinkerer, it's more trouble than it's worth, especially given the amount of "my 1604 lcd wont work" post's on this forum

High capacity SD cards do make HDD's somewhat redundant, but there is coompact flash if people do want large fast storage, they can be used in 8bit mode as i have done myself with microchip pic's.

P18F4550:
@ James C4S,
I dont believe the answer is that simple, No to the normal everyday Arduino tinkerer, it's more trouble than it's worth, especially given the amount of "my 1604 lcd wont work" post's on this forum

You're answering the question, I was answering the thread. I took into account that this was the original poster's first post and that their question showed a total lack of understanding of the technologies involved. E.g. interfacing a SATA drive with a simple microcontroller (even the Due.)

Also given that it was a first post that would require incredibly detailed answers and follow up, I thought it wise to see if the person would come back. Which after 4 days, I suspect isn't.

other people read threads - not just the posters

"no" is incorrect
sata needs glue so does pata
if you have the time, inlination & the gpio bits you could use someting like http://www.addonics.com/products/adsaide.php
to connect a sata drive- ide/pata is more straight fwd but requires alot more bits

i've connected CF cards directly to a avrMega (not arduinos) (+ 10 yrs ago ..)
/ software is harder than the wireing / but more fat examples exist now than back then ...