How do i read this?

http://www.practicalarduino.com/pics/time-lapse-controller-schematic.jpg

I understand it slightly however i have no idea for sure what it means. Also is there a good place to learn how to read them.

here is more info on the project

http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects/time-lapse-camera-controller

Thanks so much!

Quick google search for "glossary of electronics symbols" gave this page which looks like a useful starting place for reading schematics Circuit Symbols of Electronic Components

Keep in mind that circuit must use relays that have coil ratings of +5vdc at 20-30ma maximum so as to not damage the arduino output pins from too much current draw. Such relays are avalible but check coil specs carefully first to be sure.

Lefty

So the 3 humps with a line over it are the relays? Can you explain to me the far right? Also is the switch looking . / . symbol part of the relay?

Dylan552:
So the 3 humps with a line over it are the relays? Can you explain to me the far right? Also is the switch looking . / . symbol part of the relay?

Yes, a relay has two parts, the coil part (3 hump thingee) and switching contacts. When the coil is energized it magnetically pulls in the contacts such that there is a circuit path between pins 7 and 14 and when denergized then pin 7 and pin 1 can conduct. The pin 7 is called the 'common contact' pin, pin 14 is called the 'normally open contact' and pin one is called the 'normally closed contact'. That specific contact type is called SPDT, for single pole double throw. There are also other common contact arrangments avaible, SPST, DPST, DPDT, 4PDT, etc. Relays carry two important specifications, first the relay coil's voltage and current requirements and second the switch contact maximum voltage and current carrying specifications.

Lefty

The "far right" looks like a TRS plug (think stereo headphones). Stands for Tip, Ring Sleeve. The sleeve is usually ground, while the ring and tip carry current. Ofter used in switches as well (My guitar amp uses the 1/4" variety for the foot controls.)...

EDIT: Rather, this looks like the female counterpart to the male "plug"... so now think headphone jack. The contact at the furthest right touches the sleeve, and the ^ and v contact the tip and ring.
A cool little pic..

oh ok so for that part it just plugs into the other part of the plug?

Yeah. What is on the right in the pic is what is on the right in your schematic. My guess would be that there would be a male-to-male cord to connect between your device and a camera.