Go Down

Topic: 5050 and 5630 Led strips (Read 178 times) previous topic - next topic

DocStein99

Do the 5-meter 5050 & 5630 led strips have resistors, diodes, or are they just SMD LEDs linked on copper strip tape?

I ordered (2) 5-meters of each.  I want to stick them to plywood, hang upside down as ceiling lights.

Is it better for me to daisy-chain in series, or seperate in paralell?  Should I run higher than 12 volts for the whole 5 meters?

My ceiling tiles are 2' x 4'.  I was going to cut in 2' lengths in parallel.

Mikeb1970

SMD 5050 LED Flex Strip light. Simply put, these LED chips are called SMD 5050 because the dimensions of the chips are 5.0mm x 5.0mm. They have 3 LED diodes in one housing (sometimes called tri-chips), and are a lot brighter than individual 3528 LED chips.

The 5630 (5730) LED is basically a stretched 5050 LED with a much wider viewing angle.

You need to connect them in parallel, using a suited 12v power supply, calculate how much Amps you will need.

Qdeathstar

They already have resistors. You wire them in parallel. Though, for 5m you could be fine just powering from one end.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

DocStein99

They already have resistors. You wire them in parallel. Though, for 5m you could be fine just powering from one end.
That's what I was wondering, if I damage this thing by connecting a 12-amp 12v source.  Current limiting already built in, that makes this project EASY for a change.

TomGeorge

Hi,
If your power source is capable of producing more current then  your load, put a suitably rated fuse would be a good idea.

Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

septillion

For a 5m run I would at least power both ends because they need a fair bit of power, especially the 5630, they use 90mA per 3 aka about an amp per meter. Nothing will burn if you don't but you will have a gradient in light output because at the end of 5m the voltage will no be 12V anymore :)

And you don't connect other voltage driven devices, light you tv, oven, lights etc in series do you ;)
Use fricking code tags!!!!
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

NEW Library to make fading leds a piece of cake
https://github.com/septillion-git/FadeLed

DocStein99

And you don't connect other voltage driven devices, light you tv, oven, lights etc in series do you ;)
What I meant, in series was - to leave the entire 5 meters as it comes.  -vs- parallel, would be to cut it into 3 or 4 sections, and wire them as parallel.  I have to cut it anyway, to fit since it would look rediculous if I try to bend a part of it 180 degree angle.

septillion

Use fricking code tags!!!!
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

NEW Library to make fading leds a piece of cake
https://github.com/septillion-git/FadeLed

Go Up