at94k
avr1
at90s1200
attiny11
attiny12
attiny15
attiny28
SoftwareSerial.cpp:1: error: MCU 'atmega328p' supported for assembler only
In file included from /home/mydirectory/arduino/arduino-0016/hardware/cores/arduino/wiring.h:28,
from /home/my directory/arduino/arduino-0016/hardware/cores/arduino/WConstants.h:1,
from SoftwareSerial.cpp:24:
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.2.2/../../../../avr/include/avr/io.h:295:6: warning: #warning "device type not defined"

If I use "arduino duemilanove w/ 168" I do not get the same error
but cannot upload sketches.
error
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I have read much of the information on this site and cannot get this working from Linux. BTW works OK from Vista

I noticed the following the LINUX does not seem to be sending a reset to the board I see traffic on the RX none on the TX

On the windows setup the reset command is executed then there is two way traffic on the USB/serial. and the sketch uploads

This is a problem as I plan on using the finished controller to interface with a linux system

My first guess is that you need to install a more recent version of avr-gcc.

--Phil.

did this ever get resolved?

If you want to keep the Ubuntu 8.04 release you'll have to find a way to install a more recent version of the avr-gcc and avr-libc packages. (From the Ubuntu 9.04 repositories)

If you are on the latest Ubuntu 9.04 (or upgrade to this) the default avr- packages are ok.
Eberhard