Graphic ST7565 LCD 128x64 - char display issues

Hi,

I got a Graphic ST7565 LCD 128x64 and followed the instructions on the adafruit site.

After soldering the wires to the LCD and wiring up the circuit the backlight on the LCD would work but I couldn't get any characters to display.

I used breadboard wire that I stripped the ends off to solder to the LCD. I'm wondering if that kind of wire will work for this?

Also are there any other kind of things I can look for? I checked the wiring of the circuit several times to ensure it was correct. I'm about 99.9% sure things were wired up correctly. The last time I had issues like this it was because the soldering wasn't done very well. I cleaned that up for my smaller LCD and got it working. The soldering this time is pretty clean though so I'm not sure if these problems are related to that.

Any suggestions or things to look for are greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if it could be the breadboard wire I used, or maybe something I overlooked when wiring up the circuit. The instructions are pretty good that Adafruit provided are good. I'm wondering what I'm missing here or what I could have done wrong. I can post pictures of the soldering on the LCD but I've broken down the circuit for now so I could work on other things.

Thanks for your time and any info you can provide.

Sean

So long as the wire conducts and solder adheres to it its fine!

Double check all the connections with a multimeter or continuity tester. Don't just rely on your eyes, get an electron's perspective!

Hi Mark,

Ok, that's great advice. Thanks a ton. I think that's one debugging tool I'm missing. That makes total sense. I've been wondering, how do I debug the hardware?? I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm going to pick up a multimeter tomorrow and rewire the circuit. I'd hate to have to resolder if I don't have to. I figured the wire was ok to use but wasn't totally sure.

Thanks again for the input. That's great advice. Kind of a duh on my part but I'm pretty new to the hardware side of things. I LOVE the arduino though and building things with it. SO MUCH FUN!!

Thanks again. I'll post and let you know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Sean

Hi Mark,

I ended up getting the LCD working without having to use the Multimeter. I tried a different board and rewired the circuit. Things are working great now. Thanks again for the suggestion on the Multimeter, I ended up getting an analog one from Home Depot in a pinch to debug the LCD issue however I'm going to take it back and get a digital one.

Thanks again for your time and input. I didn't realize how valuable the Multimeter is and look forward to using it in the future to debug problems.

Kind regards,

Sean