Go Down

Topic: MultiTrans: Multi Channel Transceiver (just 1 pin per transceiver!) (Read 191 times) previous topic - next topic

feklee

After extensive stress tests and after months of use in production, I'm happy to announce MultiTrans, an implementation of a multi channel transceiver. Find MultiTrans in the Arduino library manager or in the GitHub repo feklee/multitrans.

New in version 1.2 is binary communication, i.e. sending and receiving messages that may include the null character.

I'm happy to answer any questions!

Features:
  • Transceiver: Transmit and receive simultaneously via a single pin. (No clock line needed.)
  • Multi channel: Multiple pins can transceive simultaneously.
  • Collision detection: One pin can start sending without worrying if the other side is sending as well. Collisions are automatically detected and circumvented. No information is lost.
  • Maximum uni-directional data rates on an Arduino Uno / Pro Mini:
    • Communication with one peer: 12 kbit/s
    • Communication with four peers: 3 kbit/s

Bi-directional data rates are a little less than half of the above rates in each direction.

Limitations:
  • Buffers:
    • The buffer on the transmitting end can contain 256 bits at the most. For each character, 21 bits are necessary. This equates to 12 characters.
    • The buffer on the receiving end can only contain up to 255 pin change events.
    • Flushing the buffer on the receiving end takes some time.

The system is thus best used for short bursts of data with sufficient idle time in between.
  • No built-in error checking. You may want to implement your own error checking, to take care of:
    • If you have a flaky connection between the Arduinos, for example due to bad electrical contacts, then bits may get lost.
    • Theoretically, i.e. if timing is perfectly right, the collision detection built into MultiTrans may fail resulting in bit loss.
  • It only works with AVR based Arduinos. In fact, code so far has only been tested with the Arduino Pro Mini and the Arduino Uno.
  • Timers are occupied:
    • 8-bit Timer/Counter2 (TC2), for transmitting
    • 16-bit Timer/Counter1 (TC1), for receiving

Examples:
  • Simple: bi directional communication between two Arduinos
  • Triangle: Arduinos communicating in a triangle
  • Stress test (advanced): testing maximum and minimum data rates with five Arduinos all communicating simultaneously

Robin2

Interesting. I am bookmarking this in the hope I find time to try it.

Have you any information about the maximum length of wire over which the system works?

I presume you need a GND connection as well as the data wire?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

feklee

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see your response as I forgot to subscribe to the topic. Yes, I'm very interested that other people try the library and I'm happy to get feedback!

Have you any information about the maximum length of wire over which the system works?
I use it over distances of about 150 mm. It's digital communication. So I presume the maximum distance is comparable to that of SoftwareSerial.

I presume you need a GND connection as well as the data wire?
Yes, I had to obey the laws of physics. ;)

Robin2

I use it over distances of about 150 mm. It's digital communication. So I presume the maximum distance is comparable to that of SoftwareSerial.

I, too, had forgotten about it, and I doubt if I will get time to try it for a few more days.

I would expect a regular Serial connection to work over a much greater distance - certainly 1500mm and maybe 5000.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up