64 yr old newby would like some help

As the subject says, I'm 64. I not that new to using computers and basic programming.

I got my first computer in 1974 - apple I or II. You gotta realize that that small computer was a big deal back then.

Thru the years I've done basic programming in - Basic - pascal - and a ton with excel, macros and VBA. As I read sample code posted for projects with the Arduino editor, I can pretty much follow what is going on. I just need to learn what some of the "new" statements to me are for.

So, If anyone is interested in giving some guidance to an old man, here is my project:

I'm starting an orchard - chestnut trees - for my kids and grand kids. The first round is just 250 of them but my son has grabbed onto this and it will expand of the next 3 years to 1500 trees.

With that volume I need to "grow my own" so I'm going to startup a green house. I've looked at the projects posted but they aren't complete enough, so I need to start from the ground up.

I'll need a minimum of 8 sensors and 6 relays.

For the Arduino board I'm thinking the mega - gives room for expansion. Your suggestions please.

Sensors:
Outside temp - info only (at this point)

Inside air temp - will control relays for compost pile air intake. (Compost can reach a temp of
150F) Vents if to hot and aux heat if needed.

Compost temp pile - info only at this point

Ambient light - info only

Water temp - 2- 275 gal water tanks for passive heat sinks. Info only

Soil moisture - turn water on and off

CO2 - Plants breath this and produce O2. Compost pile will produce CO2 - For info

Relays:

Water on and off - 12V

Volunteers here help others when they run into problems.

64 is not that old.

I think the real question is what is your question? What state are you at? Do you have all the sensors?

Hi Ray,

From a 77 year OldBy: I suggest you just start with some simple things and refine your system step by step.

The Mega is good but your outline seems workable with a UNO type.

See some temperature measurement How-To Here:

http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Brick-Temperature-DS18B20

You can run many temperature sensors with only a couple of arduino pins. There are waterproof sensors like these that would be good in soil, compost, outdoors etc:

There are small relay boards that would be fine for controlling 12V valves (or the typical 24V AC irrigation valves). See some How-To here:
http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/ArduinoPower

Main thing is just get started and experiment...

Trees are a wonderful thing to do with and for your Grandchildren. I live in rural Vermont with a lot of trees. Some are warming me as I type.. Speaking of the love of trees, look for a book titled To Dance With The White Dog. [WikiPedia]

Email me if you need help, but ask here first so we all get to contribute.

As the subject says, I'm 64. I'm not that new to using computers and basic programming.

I got my first computer in 1974 - apple I or II. You gotta realize that that small computer was a big deal back then.

Thru the years I've done basic programming in - Basic - pascal - and a ton with excel, macros and VBA. As I read sample code posted for projects with the Arduino editor, I can pretty much follow what is going on. I just need to learn what some of the "new" statements to me are for.

So, If anyone is interested in giving some guidance to an old man, here is my project:

I'm starting an orchard - chestnut trees - for my kids and grand kids. The first round is just 250 of them but my son has grabbed onto this and it will expand of the next 3 years to 1500 trees.

With that volume I need to "grow my own" so I'm going to startup a green house. I've looked at the projects posted but they aren't complete enough, so I need to start from the ground up.

I'll need a minimum of 7 sensors and 5 relays. At a minimum.

For the Arduino board I'm thinking the mega - gives room for expansion. Your suggestions please.

Sensors:
Outside temp - info only (at this point)

Inside air temp - will control relays for compost pile air intake. (Compost can reach a temp of
150F) Vents if to hot and aux heat if needed.

Compost temp pile - turn relay on and off

Ambient light - info only

Water temp - 2- 275 gal water tanks for passive heat sinks. Info only

Soil moisture - turn water on and off

CO2 - Plants breath this and produce O2. Compost pile will produce CO2 - For info

Relays:

Water on and off - 12V

exhaust on off

Compost on off

Aux heat on off

Humidity - make or vent

Also want a real time clock.

Data will be transferred via usb - with PLX-DAQ and excel to record.

It's a complex project for the first one, but the first project on on my $150,000.00 CNC was too and I learned so much that many smaller - handy projects resulted. Beside that - this is what I need 1st. I've got a couple more simpler ones in mind but they come later.

I really don't want someone to do this for me. I want to learn with a little guidance.

In advance - thanks much!

We're already helping you in your other thread:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=512185
Don't create multiple threads on the same topic, this will just end up wasting the time of the people trying to help you. If you have information to add, do it in the original thread.

My memory isn’t that great and yours may be failing as you already asked this elsewhere. :wink:

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Old? 64 is probably the average age of the gurus here (64 myself).

You could start experimenting with waterproof DS18B20 sensors, since you did mention several temp sensors.
Any Arduino can be used for that, because a whole bunch of those one-wire sensors only use one Arduino pin.

Relays are not needed for 12volt pump/valves.
Switching those with logic level mosfets is probably easier, and they don't use any relay coil current.
If you use an I2C LCD display, then an Uno will probably have enough pins for what you're trying to do.
Leo..

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

61 yo here, we are the whippersnappers, so don't feel alone.

Greenhouse is a good project, especially if you do not have a time limit and are prepared to develop it in stages.

Tom.. :slight_smile:

I did not realize I was such a youngster... being a small fraction of a score younger than most.... still a sexagenarian...

inputs. the DS18B20 Terry posted is super easy to use.

the better soil samplers are the Chrip. I would offer to get the RS485, but the are the most expensive.

solenoids. I would assume you are on a well or city water, so 30 PSI ?
most solenoids work, but I would also offer that you look into some water flow sensors. cheap enough and easy enough to use.

Threads merged.

@RayJorgensen, click More then Modify (lower right corner of the post) to edit a post.

Things you want people to know!

How big is the greenhouse?

How far away do you intend sensors to be?

How do you wish the sensor data to be reported?

as for the repeat post - I have no Idea how that happened - Sorry

At the most the sensors would be 20' away.

The green house will be 8' X 16'.

I'll use excel to see the data. USB connected.

On this site the uno and mega are both unavailable.

[

will this one work?

Thanks](YourDuino MEGA2560 R3 (Arduino MEGA Compatible))

RayJorgensen:
as for the repeat post - I have no Idea how that happened - Sorry

At the most the sensors would be 20' away.

The green house will be 8' X 16'.

I'll use excel to see the data. USB connected.

On this site the uno and mega are both unavailable.

[

will this one work?

Thanks
[/quote]
YES
The 'Arduino' is open hardware, almost every one works exactly the same.
the heart is the chip and from there, it is more of how careful the soldering is. there is no real savings by using junk parts.
but that one is as good as any.
](http://www.yourduino.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=387)

RayJorgensen:

A HUGE deal considering Apple I was introduced in 1976.

larryd:
Volunteers here help others when they run into problems.

64 is not that old.

Thank you. I agree! MY 78th birthday was a couple of days ago!
Paul

Sorry about the 74 - it was the early 70s

Paul_KD7HB:
Thank you. I agree! MY 78th birthday was a couple of days ago!
Paul

Congrats!!

I have decided to go with the mega.

I was at my sons today helping with wiring, etc on the last room of his total remodel gut job. As my son was in the attic I was telling his wife about the green house controller. She asked " can we all get this data from our phones?" I'm sure it's possible and if they want it I will attempt to make it happen - just later down the road.

That's why the mega. I have been down this road before. As soon as I learn the capabilities I want more. I'm going to start with a platform that gives room to grow.