[no longer relevant] Touch using CTE shield on DUE etc

I just received my 5" 800X480 SSD1963 TFT from CT. It has a 40pin header.
I am using it on the 40 pin header of the CTE shield for DUE.
Going to try getting SDFat, Touch and all of the Demos working on it.

Peter

OK,
Found the source of my issues... I purchased the WRONG SSD1963 LCD panels.
Cold Tears Electronics offers the 5" & 7" SSD1963 800X480 LCDs in TWO versions... With Font IC and Without. Unfortunately, I have both of them without the IC, hence the demos show garbage for the text and bitmap portions. I've ordered the correct versions now...

However, with the CTE shield, I had great success with two others offered by Cold Tears Electronics:
3.5" 480X320 R61581 LCD Controller & ADS7843 compatible Touch Controller w/ Font IC
3.2" 320X240 SSD1298 LCD Controller & ADS7843 compatible Touch Controller w/ Font IC

We used their modified versions of the Utouch & UTFT libraries (which probably precludes adopting everyone's high speed modifications they are developing for Hennings Libraries).

I found performance acceptable. Touch Screen Worked. It's a little weird using a utility to load from the SDCard into the Built-In Flash...and then your code calls your images from the Flash by Number. That means you can't easily just stick new images on and SD Card and modify your sketch. Instead you have a finite number of images to work with. That's ok. My preference is the 480 as the visual quality is very good.

The other odd thing is for the 3.5" screen with a resolution of 480X320, the Touch Screen has a resolution of 509X264. For the 3.2" screen with a resolution of 320X240, the touch screen had the same resolution of 509X264. So in my code I will resolve the difference by scaling the data I receive from the touch controller to match my graphical coordinates:
Screen Res X = 480 - (Touch Res X * 0.9375)
Screen Res Y = (Touch Res Y * 1.2121)
Resolving it this way should help with deciding what object (slider, button, toggle) was manipulated by the user. Without re-inventing the wheel I'll need to see how some folks went about creating an object oriented approach.

Can you not just solder on a font IC?

I've already sent an email off to the folks asking them just that.

Working further with the 3.2" and 3.5" CTE LCDS on the CTE Shields.... finding they are backwards, rotated and mirrored...
Daniel saw the same thing..and posted his findings on this other thread in the Displays section...

The demos worked...
Then we went to develop our own stuff...and found the coordinates were broken it was plotting rectangles and text in the opposite corner. the demo looked good because I had the displays rotated 180 deg...

I will no longer comment on these two items here...but put the comments in Daniel's very specific thread.

I seem to have the same problem. My 5" TFT has not arrived yet, but I already checked the description and I ordered the one without IC. Soldering it myself should not be a problem. What I get from the schematics is that the display with font ic uses a SST25VF016.

However, I do not understand the different flavors of the SST25VF016 yet. Mostly I find the SST25VF016B for example and I do not understand what the B stands for.
Also the CTE description states "On board 64Mbit SPI Flash" while the SST25VF016 is only 16Mbit.

Can anyone comment on that?

cowasaki:
Can you not just solder on a font IC?

I thought that the SST25VF016 was 16Mbit !

Just done a quick google and it seems so.

cowasaki:
I thought that the SST25VF016 was 16Mbit !

Just done a quick google and it seems so.

Yes it is. My point is that the CTE descriptions says the display has a 64Mbit flash ic. Consequently it cannot be the SST25VF016, but the schematics say it is.
Could anyone who has the TFT with font ic, please be so kind and check which chip is soldered on it?

The other odd thing is for the 3.5" screen with a resolution of 480X320, the Touch Screen has a resolution of 509X264. For the 3.2" screen with a resolution of 320X240, the touch screen had the same resolution of 509X264. So in my code I will resolve the difference by scaling the data I receive from the touch controller to match my graphical coordinates:
Screen Res X = 480 - (Touch Res X * 0.9375)
Screen Res Y = (Touch Res Y * 1.2121)
Resolving it this way should help with deciding what object (slider, button, toggle) was manipulated by the user. Without re-inventing the wheel I'll need to see how some folks went about creating an object oriented approach.

Yeah, found on my CTE 3.5 / UTouchCD.h is not the correct callibration, calibration numbers are not correct for this display. Rather than fix the arcaine method of doing the cal, I just hard coded it to get it right.

UTouch.cpp

void UTouch::InitTouch(byte orientation)
{
orient= orientation; // BMac hard coding for CTE 3.5 480 x 320 display
_default_orientation= 0; //CAL_S>>31;
touch_x_left= 93; //(CAL_X>>14) & 0x3FFF;
touch_x_right= 3960; //CAL_X & 0x3FFF;
touch_y_top= 3792; //(CAL_Y>>14) & 0x3FFF;
touch_y_bottom= 262; //CAL_Y & 0x3FFF;
disp_x_size= 320; // (480) (CAL_S>>12) & 0x0FFF;
disp_y_size= 480; // (320) CAL_S & 0x0FFF;
prec= 10;

BMac

I still can't get the touch to work at all other than detect that a touch event has occurred. It knows that the user has touched the screen but gives the wrong result each time, just saying the same thing. Not sure I have the correct pin outs for touch using the CTE shield with the 32 pin connection.

working utft touch libraly is orginal utouch libraly you can download from its website (developer's page).

feveran:
working utft touch libraly is orginal utouch libraly you can download from its website (developer's page).

Well my THIRD 7" touch screen arrived this morning. Every time I ordered a 40pin version but

1. one sent was 32pin which I could use as an LCD and use the micro SD but not touch - so I got a refund and bought....
  2. received the 2nd one which basically didn't do anything - so got a 50% refund and bought.....
  3. received the 3rd one which looked identical to the 2nd one but it had a second 0 ohm SMD resistor fitted as a link labeled (Always on)

and......

Number 3 works perfectly so I soldered a 0ohm resistor across always on on number 2 and that works perfectly now too.

Cowaski,
make sure to have a look at the link below. Apparantely new libraries are available from CTE....and a few users have derived parameters that take care of the reversing thing and a few other issues..

promacjoe:
Note: I have now corrected the mirror issue in these drivers. I simply copied a set of parameters that I knew would display in the correct orientation To the correct location in the " UTFT.cpp " file. In my case, the " SSD1963_800_CTE7 "section at line 2331. These parameters are for the 7" CTE display. So far everything displays and functions correctly.

In my case the parameters were obtained from a set of CTE drivers offered from " ageurtse ", a member of this form, thank you for your assistance.

I hope this will help someone else.

promacjoe

I haven't verified any of this... I'm still waiting for my Font ICs, so that I can solder them on my 5" and 7" versions... then I will resume testing of both of these LCDs.

The latest 7" screen I bought was actually a CTE LCD using a CTE shield and CTE software linked to from there advert on ebay. When I received the screen from them it had the extra link so I was able to get my second screen going too. The first one also works for display and microSD but I never got the touch to work and I have now dropped something on it and cracked the verythin glass between the touch pad and LCD.

I will check their suite for any upgrades of the software though.

Will have a bit of a play tonight.

The CTE screen has a font ic but the other one didn't

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN SUPERSEDED BY DUEGUI - EVERYTHING NOW WORKING !!

@cowasaki
have you find the correct string for the touch?
i have the same tft display with font-ic and same cte shied but with MEGA and the touch not work, the coordinates are 800 or similar in all position.
i have the sd inserted in the slot on tft, i don't have tried without sd.
but the touch not work, the tft and the sd work perfectly.
i use the utouch not modified, if i must use the modification of this i don't know what is the modification.

thanks

I have the Due R3, a CTE display Shield for the Due, and
the CTE32HR, working with UTFT and UTouch.
Next, I am trying to get the 5"display working.

However, the 3.5", 4", 5", and 7" (all with the font chip)
remain a problem with Utouch. Does anyone know how
to support and calibrate these, or have a working
calibration for LANDSCAPE orientation for any of these?

Before doing a calibration, it appears that one might need
to set the calibration data in UTouchCD.h to something like:

X = 00003FFFUL (zero to maximum x-touch range)
Y = 00003FFFUL (zero to max y-touch range)
S = 80FFFFFFUL (Max x-pixels and max y-pixels, and 8 = LANDSCAPE

X should be left to right, about 100 to 4000 touch,
with returned x-pixel 0 to 799 (left to right)

y should be top to bottom, about 3700 to 100 touch,
with returned pixel 0 to 479 (top to bottom)

Even then, I cannot get the 5" calibration to produce data
that works. It is as if the 5" touch is producing something
that the UTouch library is not expecting, like the X and Y
touch values are swapped.

I am fussing with the UTouch library and Calibration
sketch to try to understand what is... happening.

Thanks for any help, Gary

The new (22 Sep 2013) version of UTouch works much better, thanks.

It requires UTFT library to support the display.
The CTE50 and CTE70 work, calibrate, and Paint.

Since I often work with different displays, and prefer to not
edit the UTouch library each time I change displays, I
changed the CAL_X (and Y and S) from defines into
unsigned long variables, and added a setCalib(xcal, ycal, scal)
subroutine so that I can set the needed calibration values
right in my Sketch. Works very well.

I have added CTE40 and CTE35 support to UTFT,
and I will try doing the touch calibration soon.

The CTE32HR calibrated before, but I will re-try,
and use Paint for testing.

Thanks for your GREAT libraries, Gary.

With my modified UTFT and UTFT_CTE libraries
I have the CTE32HR, CTE35, CTE40, CTE50, and CTE70 all
working, displaying the CTE-plus- Karlsen demo.

However, it appears that the icons in the CTE demo are positioned
from right to left rather than left to right, with the CTE35 and CTE40.

The touch Calibration appears to work on all 5 displays, and the
Paint demo works with all except the CTE35, which shows the Paint
control boxes OK, but does not respond to any touches, so the calibration
might not be correct, or something else is wrong???

I will try the CTE35 some more.
Any suggestions, please?

Success, calibrating the CTE35 in LANDSCAPE mode made the
Paint sketch work with the CTE35.

Now, all five (CTE32HR, 35, 40, 50, and 70) calibrate and Paint!

Cheers, Gary