set up a timer

I'm trying to set up a project where a timer starts counting once a button is triggered and if my second button isn't triggered within 2 minutes I want to reset a boolean. What would be a good way to set up this timer.
I've been playing around with the arduino for a total of 3 days so go easy on me. :confused:

Take a look at millis(). The blinkwithoutdelay example shows it to you in use

sherkdavid:
I'm trying to set up a project where a timer starts counting once a button is triggered and if my second button isn't triggered within 2 minutes I want to reset a boolean. What would be a good way to set up this timer.
I've been playing around with the arduino for a total of 3 days so go easy on me. :confused:

const int Button1Pin = 2;  // LOW means pressed
const int Button2Pin = 3;  // LOW means pressed

boolean MYBOOLEAN = true;

void setup()
    {
    pinmode(Buton1Pin, INPUT);
    digitalWrite(Button1Pin, HIGH);  // Enable the internal pull-up resistor

pinmode(Buton2Pin, INPUT);
    digitalWrite(Button2Pin, HIGH);  // Enable the internal pull-up resistor
    }

void loop()
    {
    static boolean Button1WasPressed = false;
    static unsigned long Button1PressTime;

if (digitalRead(Button1Pin) == LOW && !Button1WasPressed)  // Button 1 pressed for the first time
      {
      Button1WasPressed = true;
      Button1PressTime = millis();
      }

if (Button1WasPressed && ((millis() - Button1PressTime) > 120000))  // More than 2 min. since Button 1 press
      {
      MYBOOLEAN = false;
      Button1WasPressed = false;  // Reset to initial state, waiting for Button 1 to be pressed
      }

if (Button1WasPressed && digitalRead(Button2Pin) == LOW)  // Button 2 pressed before timeout
      {
      Button1WasPressed = false;  // Reset to initial state, waiting for Button 1 to be pressed
      }
   }

Thanks very much. I'll take a look at both and work around it. Cheers