Allowed file types

Is there a reason for the type *.odt not be accepted?
This file type is ISO.
This is the main official type for many government administrations.
Word can write and read in *.odt and Microsoft participates in the standardization committee.
Why is it refused ?

How is it used in Arduino/C++?
I've never used it any embedded processor coding I've done.

The text / document may well obviously not be used for programming :grin: .
The request concerns the attachments to a post.

Currently only the formats : doc, gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip, c, h, cpp, ino, pde are accepted.
In fact odt is a specific zip format but it is refused.

So rezip it as a regular zip and attach it?
I can envision the limits being put in place to save space on the file servers that make up the forum. For a while before the transition to the new system, things were getting overwhelmed.

So rezip it as a regular zip and attach it?

NO.
ODT is the only real ISO format.
It is the official format for many government administrations who refused Microsoft format OOXML.
It must be acepted without it being necessary to manipulation.
It's just an option to change in the site administration.

68tjs:
NO.
ODT is the only real ISO format.
It is the official format for many government administrations who refused Microsoft format OOXML.
It must be acepted without it being necessary to manipulation.
It's just an option to change in the site administration.

NO. Nothing they do not want needs to be accepted.

If you are using any editor worth its money (I use LibreOffice... free) then simply export it to a PDF.

Besides, I can guarantee more people will have software (like any modern browser) that will open PDF's
Think of all the people using portable devices, mine do not open .odt files without a special app, whereas PDF works out of the box.

The problem is not there.

To begin my question was:
**"**Why this format is not accepted?"

This question concerned the people who run the site.
They did not respond then they are the only who can answer.

I perfectly know how to work around this block format, it was not the purpose of my question.
When I give a tutorial, once given I consider that I have no rights over and that anyone can edit it.
Pdf is not editable.

When I compare the format doc and odt:

• odt is ISO, not doc.
  • odt is compressed, doc is not compressed. An odt file occupies 10 times less space on Arduino servers that doc file or pdf file.

Why doc is accepted and no odt?

It is possible that this is just an oversight.
I wish I had an answer from site manager's.

Well ask them... Issues · arduino/forum-assets · GitHub

But speaking of GitHub:

Why not create a GitHub repo where you can collate everything together. It makes sharing with others easy, and you can link any file type you like! (here on the forum).

You could also create links through Word Online and people can view & edit without even saving the file (locally).

This is not an issue that is an adjustment to do or not to do if there are good reasons not to do so.

Very naively I thought sub-forum "Website and Forum" was the right place to talk about the forum.

I am honored to share with you but I still awaiting a response from the site manager.

68tjs:
This is not an issue that is an adjustment to do or not to do if there are good reasons not to do so.

Very naively I thought sub-forum "Website and Forum" was the right place to talk about the forum.

I am honored to share with you but I still awaiting a response from the site manager.

That is why I gave you that link.

If your own opinion is preventing you from taking the correct measures to get your question answered, but still feel compelled to try and convince me otherwise, then good luck buddy, your request is going to blow away in the wind.

@68tjs,
I understand your question, what you say for ODT can be said for a few dozen other file formats. So I agree we should support more file formats. The compression argument makes quite some sense imho.

But why should the forum follow ISO? The fact that government chooses for it is imho no argument, as I see seldom people from the government on this forum. Furthermore as there are many other standardization institutes, why not follow them?

That asked, I agree we should support more formats. On my list are especially gerber and PCB formats.

Thanks for your answer.

I have quoted "Iso", only to reminder that odt is not an exotic format, but a serious format.
In this format cosmetics is separated from the text. If you do not have the software that was used to write a document you can still find your text again with a simple text editor. It is impossible to do with Doc.

I read recently that Libre Office is used by more than 40% of word processor users, unfortunately the sources were not specified, despite if some has doubts about this number, we can estimate the number of users to several hundred millions. I think it is sufficient reason to acept this format.

I totally agree with you on the gerber format.
I would add that for the documentation of Arduino boards, have all gerber files would be more useful as sources Eagle.
On Linux it is a pain to run Eagle : binaries exist but only 32bits (incredible, Cadsoft moves you! !) , so you have to install a multiarch architecture.

68tjs:
I totally agree with you on the gerber format.
I would add that for the documentation of Arduino boards, have all gerber files would be more useful as sources Eagle.
On Linux it is a pain to run Eagle : binaries exist but only 32bits (incredible, Cadsoft moves you! !) , so you have to install a multiarch architecture.

Problems? I am running 14.04 on x64. No trouble. sudo apt-get install eagle. Done.
But I have wanted to be able to download/upload .brds and .schs a LOT!

68tjs:
The text / document may well obviously not be used for programming :grin: .
The request concerns the attachments to a post.

Currently only the formats : doc, gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip, c, h, cpp, ino, pde are accepted.
In fact odt is a specific zip format but it is refused.

As of Feb 18, 2018, what are the allowed file types? The Arduino editor no longer supports many of the above mentioned formats.

Arduino editor ?

This whole (very old) thread doesn't relate to the IDE, you even quoted the post stipulating that.

If you mean the edit screen you are typing your forum posts in, hit the Preview button.
After that you'll be in the extended (or whatever it is called) edit screen.
It has a link "Attachments and other options" beneath it.
If you click that, you'll see what is allowed.
At the moment it states:

Extended edit screen:
Allowed file types: doc, gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip, c, h, cpp, ino, pde
Restrictions: maximum total size 1 MB, maximum individual size 1 MB

You dont mean the WEB EDITOR aka CREATE by any chance ?

That has its own restrictions in much the same way the desktop IDE does.
It is also in no way related to the forum editor.