Ethernet Sheild from China (ENC28J60)

I recently purchase an ENC28J60 Ethernet Shield from an Ebay seller out of Hong Kong. After spending hours and hours trying to configure and ping the device, I have come to the conclusion that I need a third opinion!

1. Firstly, has any one used this device (picture below) and if so, is it compatible with all the ethernet example sketches? Basically, did I get ripped off?

2. Second, is there a specific method for setting up the static IP address on the router and Shield that I am not aware of? I have tried both static IP's in the shield as well as the DHCP polling code to no avail. When going the Static IP route, when I try and ping the device, I can see the lights on the actual Ethernet plugin fire up but nothing ever returns.

Firstly, has any one used this device

Plenty of people have.

if so, is it compatible with all the ethernet example sketches?

Which examples are you referring to? If you mean the ones that come with the Arduino Ethernet library, then the answer is no. That library works with the easier-to-use WizNet 5100 based shields.

There is an EtherCard library that works with your ethernet shield that tries to hide the complexity of using that shield.

Second, is there a specific method for setting up the static IP address on the router

Of course. But, it depends on your specific router and network configuration (home, school, business, etc.).

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. I will definately try the correct library! When you say complexity what are you referring to? Ive read that some have had great success with this board and others not so much. Also, I have a home router so is it best to set a static ip in the router or should I go the DHCP route? (assuming I'm not running a server). Thanks ahead of time for the knowledge passed on!

I have the same issues, but I'm using the correct library!

This hardware: http://www.ekitszone.com/p/11/enc28j60-ethernet-shield-for-arduino-uno-duemilanove
This library: GitHub - njh/EtherCard: EtherCard is an IPv4 driver for the ENC28J60 chip, compatible with Arduino IDE

I'm setting with a third parameter, because this board uses pin 10 and not 8:

if (ether.begin(sizeof Ethernet::buffer, mymac, 10) == 0)

Somehow though the code does not execute after this if statement... the leds in the socket blink, there is nothing else connected on the board and I'm using an Arduino Uno with Arduino software version 1.0 on OSX.

edit: To clarify, I also tried setting a static ip, but no luck either...

I recently purchase an ENC28J60 Ethernet Shield from an Ebay seller out of Hong Kong. After spending hours and hours trying to configure and ping the device, I have come to the conclusion that I need a third opinion!

You should have searched for the forum for this make of ethernet sheld before purchasing it. Pretty much for advanced users. The wiznet shields are almost the same price now.

@mrfriss

I'm setting with a third parameter, because this board uses pin 10 and not 8:

You can also patch the library, just search the places where the 8 was configured the hard way ...

I suppose I could place the shield in a bread board and do the proper pin out wiring pin 8 to 10? That would save me having to either change the library?

I suppose I could place the shield in a bread board and do the proper pin out wiring pin 8 to 10? That would save me having to either change the library?

yes, but the proof is in the puddingtest :wink:

Note that the shield might not fit nicely to a bread board...

@west10degrees Any luck yet getting the shield to work?

I'm still having trouble, although I'm using the correct library, pin settings, etc...

GOT IT!

The trick is to set the SD card pin high in setup:

pinMode(4, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(4, HIGH);

After this, everything works like a charm, excellent!

@mrfriss , Glad you got it working, I got mine going as well. Turns out I had the right library but was pointing to the wrong one. I did read about your issue somewhere else, seems that Mini SD slot can cause some problems. For the info, this Shield fits fine with the Arduino but doesn't allow the LCD shield to port through, probably to do with the Pin 10 being pin 8.

Also, I've been finding it very difficult to get Pachube set up on this shield even though they have a library for this exact board. Anyone else been through this already?