Interfacing to a VFD29-2002I with Logic Controls board

Can the arduino UNO talk RS232 directly to this device (with libraries) or do I need to use ardware for RS232 conversion to TTL ?

NO. The arduino is TTL (Transistor-transistor Logic , which means 0 to 5 Vdc to you). You need a level converter like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RS232-To-TTL-Converter-Module-COM-Serial-Board-MAX3232-With-Dupont-Cable-/221372796843?pt=US_Parallel_Serial_PS_2_Cables_Adapters&hash=item338ad8cfab

what does it mean (tied to pins 4&6) ? Does this mean a wire jumpers pin 1 to both 4 & 6?

YES

If anyone has general comments on strategy to use this VFD with my arduino I'd appreciate your feedback.

You don't need comments or strategy, you just need to understand what the datasheet says. Everything you need to know should be there. What you need to do is pour yourself a tall cup of coffee and sit down and read the manual. I would start on page 2. Read that and come back and tell me what you learned about the display you have. Or if you don't want to start there, you can draw a schematic (or wiring list) of the db9 cable you are going to make. Take a close look at the photo of the converter you need and tell me what kind of connector you are going to put on your cable . FYI the converter only has Rx & Tx pins on the TTL (ARDUINO) side. Attached is an image of the connector you need to plug into the converter you need.

rs232-pinout-MALE.jpg